Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My unit construction came without steadies. It has the later style mounting with 1 stud on engine centrline per rocker box. However, studs were also missing.

After reading up on steadies and seeing numerous iterations, some nice and neat and some more or less atrocious, i'm still without an answer!

What freedom of movement are we trying to control?! My guess would be the rocking moment about the crank axis of rotation, or front to back, while allowing the cylinder to expand with heat. Looking at stock units would seem to confirm this... but jo no se mang!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you got it, it the frontward rocking movement. and it's easy to fab pone up from flat strap with 2 holes in it much like the factory one was, and all you hardware is SAE threads.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"You can buy head bolts with mounting bolts on the top for head steadies. -Loffer"

Yeah, those would be easier to fab steadies for. I thought of machining some bolts up but I won't. I don't like the idea of restraining hardware that's being used to clamp a copper sealing joint, against vibration! Just asking for a leak at some point. Then again, it worked for years so I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ran for a year without the head steadies and it was not a problem.

I fabbed a nice one up like Tony describes to see if it would change anything and I it did help a bit with vibration, so I think the main purpose would just be vibration damping.

It's also a good excuse to make something cool ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Definitely best to have a top end head steady. Some owners fare better than others but I have had to deal with cracking and loosening of welded pieces and nut and bolts due to no top end head steady on a few occasions in the past and always make it a point since then to have those in place no matter what. Flat stock is good and easy for what you need to get that done. :cool:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If he has the later style rocker boxes, the older style headbolts may not work, since you torque the head down before even putting the rocker boxes on.
True that .. I have the later rocker boxes with the long.bolt used instead of the 2 piece studs. It's worked out pretty good but I.have the early head. I don't see the difference really except for the hardware itself the holes are in thw same place and the head is the same size ect... Any problems with this that is known? I used the studs for head steadys ...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I ran a 1977 T140 engine in a '68 frame and used four studs that screwed into the cap bolts. Once the studs are seated and to use the earlier style head steadies I had to build up the gap with a bunch of flat washers but a nicely made spacer would have looked nicer but they did the trick.

I just used automotive studs from the hardware store. They are fine thread on one end and course on the other. This was in my pre internet days of the late '90's but I would look at studs from McMaster-Carr or what have you now if I did this again so as to have fine thread on both ends.

Anyhow, using flat stock and the two studs in the middle of the rocker boxes will work, just measure,cut and drill where necessary.

If he has the later style rocker boxes, the older style headbolts may not work, since you torque the head down before even putting the rocker boxes on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^Those are nice when using the main studs.

Here's another question: We've established what "movement" we are trying to eliminate. Now, having steadies on both rocker covers is to A) Share the load B) Redundancy C) ******* safety factor? D) It looks cool. E) You will install them and you will like them. Peroid. [?]

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
^Those are nice when using the main studs.

Here's another question: We've established what "movement" we are trying to eliminate. Now, having steadies on both rocker covers is to A) Share the load B) Redundancy C) ******* safety factor? D) It looks cool. E) You will install them and you will like them. Peroid. [?]
The engineers used two originally, at least on pre units, and pre oil in frame 650's. I figure this is to keep all forces squarely and evenly distributed, but who really knows. I do know that using only one would look cock eyed, and how lonely would that one naked head stud be without his head steady? :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Wait! We are talking about a set being used on both the front AND back covers, yes?
Whew! I was hoping you weren't asking if you could use only a left or a right. As far as front and rear (pairs :D) Pre units, front or rear steadies only. Units, front and rear, originally (I'm sure one set or the other would probably work fine on a unit bike though)...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...my doubts are about the later "1 piece" torque stay regarding the 2 pieces that came in all the previous units.
They changed for simplicity?
for better holding?
for a better deal with the forces (vibrations) involved?
due to a change in the cc s and short conrods?

I m asking due I have a 67 frame with a 79 unit...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.