Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need petcocks for my Triumph gas tank ('64 Bonneville). I'd like to go with all brass and I see them around, but what thread is it that I need? It's not a standard pipe thread is it?

Can I just use a hardware store brass petcock, or do I need a special British gas tank item? I don't want to mess up the female threads in the tank using the wrong thing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If the hole is 1/2" I.D Yours should take 1/4 B.S.P, you can get adapters that mean you can use all sorts, like 1/8 to 1/4 etc.
you could use anything, if it has seals you need to check that they wont dissolve with modern fuels.
I got some vintage looking brass items from Earles, I think they were 1/8 Harley thread, I would imagine you would have far more options than we have here in OZ.
my opinion the best type of Brit petcocks for function are the push pull type, thought they may not suit the style you are after

·
Registered
561 Posts
talking about seals, last week i bust a petcock and was given brass replacment with a tapered shaft turned by the lever that allows fuel to flow.

The old school bloke who gave it me said as an aside oh, to seal it just put a good quality soap (as in bar of) on the taper to lube and seal it and on the thread into the tank to seal that, it would hav been talllow in the old days but petrol won't disolve the soap so that;s an OK substitute.

One week down the line andstillno sign of a leak, best tip i've had this year.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Stay away from the all brass ,vintage looking ones...... They look cool as hell but my God,nothing can even leak as much as they do..... Those suckers leak worse than the Exxon Valdes !!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd advise staying with stock push-pull or the later Triumph type (lever). Of the lever types there are two that I know of: the stock type with the flat lever and the cast alloy type with a cast alloy lever. Both work well.

For sealing the petcock, you should try and get the metal washers which have an 0-ring molded into them. These seal very well. I also put a small amount of sealer on the threads (grease on the 0-ring).

If it's the finish that you're concerned about, you could probably disassemble the petcocks and do something there.

I'd advise against putting some weird petcocks on your bike simply because "they look cool." This is because bad petcocks can cause a lot of grief you really don't need. Aside from leaking externally and making a mess (and maybe burning down your garage/bike/house, they can also leak internally. If they leak internally, and the needles and seats in carbs are worn, the fuel can leak into the engine and fill it up with gas, dilute the oil, wash oil off the cylinder walls resulting in a dry starts, etc.

Sorry for the long lecture if you already know all this, just my 2.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about the all brass ones that Falcon do? They look sweet, you can re-build them and they claim that they are leak proof which I would believe with the quality of their work. I was looking at getting some for mine but at $85 each plus postage I will wait until I have fixed everything else.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I rebuilt a couple push/pull Ewarts petcocks, with the O-ring kit, haven't leaked yet and look right at home on old british bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I rebuilt a couple push/pull Ewarts petcocks, with the O-ring kit, haven't leaked yet and look right at home on old british bikes.
Any idea where you can get the screw thats in the ewarts petcock? one of mine is a little jacked up. I did the oring kit on mine also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts