Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what to do for a front end for my 69 Triumph. I have a 71 that came with it but would like to pick up a 69 front or maybe one like on this blue bike. I know its Harley but what else can you tell me about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
HD front ends look great, mate up pretty easily to triumph front sections but COST ass-loads of money. Black powdercoated ones run like $850 to $1200 depending on who you buy from, Chrome can run $1000 to $1400 depending o who you buy them from. Swap meet prices out here on the west coast are, STRANGELY ENOUGH, more than that!!! Then you gotta buy a top clamp, risers, wheel and neck bearings and etc!! Axle to bottom tree, they are within an inch or less of a stock Triumph so matching up lenght is not an issue. In that respect they are bitchin. Do your research and bring a ruler to the swap meets though. It is easy to get one that has been NICELY extended, and then it won't work so well, jacks the front end up too much. If you want a new one, let me know I got connections for ones on the cheaper side.

thx-138jr said:
I am trying to figure out what to do for a front end for my 69 Triumph. I have a 71 that came with it but would like to pick up a 69 front or maybe one like on this blue bike. I know its Harley but what else can you tell me about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 Grand Is A Little Much To Put Into A Trump Front End. Try An Early Sporty/k-model Glide Unit. Real Narrow And Spindly. Looks Great And Is Alot Less Loot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
thx-138jr said:
Thanks Guys

I thought they would be expensive but not that much.
Try looking for a 45 wla springer, they bolt on to a sportster and are less pricey than ones used for 74's they are identicle looking just have the smaller stem.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Like Wes says... The springers are fuckin' expensive.. I was crazy enough to get one. I really like it. handles nice too.
I ran an early 70's shaved Sporty fork before.

Another favourite is a normal Triumph fork with Webco covers... Gotta get me one of those one day..

And I'm sure i"m gonna fit my XR750 Cerianis in my Trump this winter too... :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
GENERATORSHOVEL said:
1 Grand Is A Little Much To Put Into A Trump Front End. Try An Early Sporty/k-model Glide Unit. Real Narrow And Spindly. Looks Great And Is Alot Less Loot.
I have a Sporty/K-model 33mm narrow glide front end from a '70 for sale if you're interested. I have a couple different wheel set-ups also. If you're interested shoot me an email at [email protected]. Time to start clearing out the parts I didn't use.

·
Registered
146 Posts
unless youre set on a springer, the oif forks were triumphs copies of cerianis, perform real well, and there are those that think they are superior
but the brake sucks
badly
luckily, you can put a 60's brake/wheel on them and have a pretty good package
or just run a spool

·
Registered
568 Posts
I put in my spool 5 minutes ago...

I can't get my mini drum brake to work in the springer... Either the anchor plate locks up the up & down movement of the fork, or, when I mount my other anchor plate, which is mounted to the rear pivot of the springer, when I brake, the whole fork extends and will rip my cable in half.

WHAT BRAKE DRUM DO I NEED FOR THE SPRINGER WHICH WILL WORK..?!!

Don't say disc... I will never mount a disc up front. It looks disgustin on a traditional bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Couple things:

(1) Is your anchor attached with heim joints? If it can't move, it will always lock up. I assume you have heim joints though, or bushings of some sort.

(2) Try what I recommended before, putting your anchor point on the springer's rocker--the rocker always moves in tandem with with springer and wheel, so it shouldn't lock up the springer when applying the brake. You would have to fuck up the finish on your rocker though. Caveat--I have never tried this, just read about it, but it sounds like it should work.

(3) If you have the Zero book, I know they have a light blue (I think) bike towards the end of the book with an extended springer that has a mini drum. Check how they mounted theirs.

(4) I hear you on the traditional thing, but at the end of the day, it's gotta perform, right?

Flyin' Dutchman said:
I put in my spool 5 minutes ago...

I can't get my mini drum brake to work in the springer... Either the anchor plate locks up the up & down movement of the fork, or, when I mount my other anchor plate, which is mounted to the rear pivot of the springer, when I brake, the whole fork extends and will rip my cable in half.

WHAT BRAKE DRUM DO I NEED FOR THE SPRINGER WHICH WILL WORK..?!!

Don't say disc... I will never mount a disc up front. It looks disgustin on a traditional bike.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tha Nutz said:
Couple things:

(1) Is your anchor attached with heim joints? If it can't move, it will always lock up. I assume you have heim joints though, or bushings of some sort.

(2) Try what I recommended before, putting your anchor point on the springer's rocker--the rocker always moves in tandem with with springer and wheel, so it shouldn't lock up the springer when applying the brake. You would have to fuck up the finish on your rocker though. Caveat--I have never tried this, just read about it, but it sounds like it should work.

(3) If you have the Zero book, I know they have a light blue (I think) bike towards the end of the book with an extended springer that has a mini drum. Check how they mounted theirs.

(4) I hear you on the traditional thing, but at the end of the day, it's gotta perform, right?
Damn... I should've taken a picture... Now I have the feeling, that, where ever I'll mount the anchor plate on the rocker, the same thing will happen.

I'll try to find a pic of the Zero bike. I'm curious already...

You're right it has to perform, but a disc on my bike would look way out of line... A drum, no matter how big, is okay in my eye, but a disc... no thanks. I've seen so many beautiful bikes, and then my eye falls on the disc in the frontwheel, which takes away the whole clean look of the motorcycle...

On the other hand... I'm running a spool now.. I have to be really careful.. Traffic here in the Netherlands is pretty sick... But then I see people running spools in L.A... I've been there often.. traffic is even more fucked up there.
So it should be possible to run one here. Only the police should not get me... Then I'm fucked bigtime. Too much noise, no front fender, rear fender too short, modified frame, no front brake... Oh boy.. They'll probably take my bike or my title and I won't get it back then.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nutz, do you mean this bike..?

I don't even know if this will work... And also (if it will work), this whole rake and everything is way different then on mine... With this Swedisch style rake, suspension doesn't do too much, does it..?
It's a big mathematical piece of shit I'm stuck in.

I think the only thing left is, if I wanna use a front brake, is to find an original HD drumbrake for the 45 springer and mount my 21" on it...

So for now, I'm gonna do the crazy thing, and run the spool... See how I like it (or not)..

·
Registered
200 Posts
maurice,

if you decide to run the stock 45 drum, there's a kit out there to install a dual action drum brake. never personally known anyone to run one, but it seems like a good idea.

ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts