Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I'm going to run a 69 TLS brake setup on the front of my 67 T120R project, I've also swapped my stock 67 front end trees for the 69 versions since they're slightly wider to accomodate the TLS front brake.

Anyway, I've noticed that my 67 has a Steering damper rod with knob that goes through the middle stem between the upper and lower trees. In 1969, it seems that Triumph eliminated the adjustable damping rod and corresponding sleeve, spring and anchor plate that went underneath the lower tree in favor of a single chromed fork stem sleeve nut that seemingly has no damping capability.

My long winded question is this: should I use the 67 damping setup or just buy the chrome 69 fork stem nut? I like the looks and simplicity of the 69 setup but I wonder if I'm missing something in terms of usability.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dunno about the damping, but back 20 years or so, I did the same swap - '67 SLS for '69 DLS brake.

I didn't do a thing but replace wheel/hub/brake for same.

COsmo

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
If you use the thin retaining nut on the backing plate there is no need to change trees. You can put a TLS on anything.
The damper was dropped primarily for cost reasons. And the later frames were stiffer and had different head angles so it was considered redundant. Use it or don't depending on the aesthetic you are after!
Robbie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts