Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this.....apparently I'm not asking the right people. Do Triumph frames have a "VIN", so to speak, that they are registered/titled by, or do you just use the engine serial number ?

-Aaron

·
Registered
396 Posts
all stock triumph frames have a VIN # located at the neck

titles on trumps are titled to the frame....sometimes they match the engine #'s sometimes not

there are cases where the title is the engine # but if the frame is titled elsewhere by someone it will take precedence over yours and you will lose it and the bike if the wrong authority is running them

but then again you could ride it all your life and never have any hassle depending on the "where" you ride

i have seen situations when converting to a rigid frame where you "destroy" the stock frame to avoid this exact circumstance...some would even "replace" the stock #'s on the new frame

that way you KNOW the numbers will be clean

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Here in California, most of the time the Triumph is titled by the VIN# on the frame neck and the motor # is on the title too. I have seen every possible scenario but this is what the DMV and CA Hiway Patrol seek when you title one. If you have no frame number, they wonder why and bad things can, but do not always DO, happen. Lots of Triumphs were stolen out here and everywhere in the 1960s. Records are spottier the older they get, but with modern computer hookups, old stolen stuff (and new stolen stuff) can turn up in your local records. Get a bill of sale, at least to say YOU did not steal it. In Cali, it is absolutely ILLEGAL to modify or change or destroy a VIN #, it is ILLEGAL simply to have an altered number vehicle in your possession. No matter how you slice it, don't muck with the Vin. If it gets impounded for whatever reason, if you got factory numbers, you can get it back with enough evidence to support your case. Without factory numbers they can keep it and destroy it.

Hard Luck said:
Ok, so I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this.....apparently I'm not asking the right people. Do Triumph frames have a "VIN", so to speak, that they are registered/titled by, or do you just use the engine serial number ?

-Aaron

·
Registered
396 Posts
fouraceswes said:
In Cali, it is absolutely ILLEGAL to modify or change or destroy a VIN #, it is ILLEGAL simply to have an altered number vehicle in your possession. .
im pretty sure this is a national deal...at least it is here

couldnt agree more on messing with em.....was just giving examples

·
Registered
936 Posts
fouraceswes said:
Here in California, most of the time the Triumph is titled by the VIN# on the frame neck and the motor # is on the title too. I have seen every possible scenario but this is what the DMV and CA Hiway Patrol seek when you title one. If you have no frame number, they wonder why and bad things can, but do not always DO, happen. Lots of Triumphs were stolen out here and everywhere in the 1960s. Records are spottier the older they get, but with modern computer hookups, old stolen stuff (and new stolen stuff) can turn up in your local records. Get a bill of sale, at least to say YOU did not steal it. In Cali, it is absolutely ILLEGAL to modify or change or destroy a VIN #, it is ILLEGAL simply to have an altered number vehicle in your possession. No matter how you slice it, don't muck with the Vin. If it gets impounded for whatever reason, if you got factory numbers, you can get it back with enough evidence to support your case. Without factory numbers they can keep it and destroy it.
PA titles can be off the engine. If you get new cases, you have two choices - if they are new you can get them stamped with original number. If you frame has the original number you can remain with the same VIN, but its a good idea to have the title amended to reflect the new engine number. Or you can have the title changed to the new enigne number. As long as something on your bike has a number traceable to the number on the title, you are pretty safe. But no matter what you will always be at the mercy of police decision.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Okay, so I want to add a scenerio to this since we are on the subject... I bought my bike in San Diego witout a title, just a B.O.S. I bought from a pretty reputable person so I'm about 99% sure that there is no problems involved with the sale (checked with SDPD just in case too, no record). The guy who had the bike raked the neck on my frame... yes, now the numbers are gone. I have to get it titled here in Nevada and was planning on using Broadway title company. They seemed to think I could go just off the engine numbers, and I've been backed up on that a couple times. My question is... if I wanted to get the numbers re-applied to the frame (just to be safe) is there someone that will do this with a B.O.S. or something? Any comments or feedback on this subject??
Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Okay, so I want to add a scenerio to this since we are on the subject... I bought my bike in San Diego witout a title, just a B.O.S. I bought from a pretty reputable person so I'm about 99% sure that there is no problems involved with the sale (checked with SDPD just in case too, no record). The guy who had the bike raked the neck on my frame... yes, now the numbers are gone. I have to get it titled here in Nevada and was planning on using Broadway title company. They seemed to think I could go just off the engine numbers, and I've been backed up on that a couple times. My question is... if I wanted to get the numbers re-applied to the frame (just to be safe) is there someone that will do this with a B.O.S. or something? Any comments or feedback on this subject??
Thanks!
Honestly as long as the area your stamping it to doesn't look like its been ground or altered, you could probably do it with a cold stamp yourself and be pretty safe in that.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
ol_scratch said:
Honestly as long as the area your stamping it to doesn't look like its been ground or altered, you could probably do it with a cold stamp yourself and be pretty safe in that.
I thought about doing that. I actually had that done on my '35 coupe and it was no big deal. Where in the hell do buy those stamps? They're the type you line-up and whack with your best hammer right?

·
Registered
936 Posts
scootermcrad said:
I thought about doing that. I actually had that done on my '35 coupe and it was no big deal. Where in the hell do buy those stamps? They're the type you line-up and whack with your best hammer right?
Yup, I think the size to use is 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
936 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Cool! Thanks for the tip!:D Any chance you know where to get these things?
Harbor freight has cheap ones. Northern tool. You shouldn't need a fancy script so a basic set should work. Craftsman will last longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts