Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running 1-3/4" drag pipes on my Triumph (dual 32mm carbs, 650cc, stock cams, etc.). Going to get this motor running soon. How much power am I going to lose from these pipes and at what RPMs? What if I lengthen them by about 16 to 20 inches? What if I lengthened them a little and ran cocktail shakers? Should I just dump them and run onger 1-1/2" pipes? How about 1-1/2" with cocktails? I'm going to run these 1-3/4"-ers for a little while for sure, but plan to make a whole new exhaust to my liking.

Your feedback would be appreciated everyone! Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you had any head work done (beyond a valve job, that is)? If not, I would think that the 1 1/2's with shakers would run fine. In my opinion, you would only need the 1 3/4 if you had the need for extra breathing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
in my short experience. pipe size or length is not a huge deal if you just want the engine to idle and perform generally ok.

look at the short ass headers with no exhaust on the hot rods. they run fine. just load. and british mufflers are so ineffective, that it sounds no louder without them!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
snortonnorton said:
and british mufflers are so ineffective, that it sounds no louder without them!!!
LOL! Yeah, what do they put in those big feckin' bullets anyway? I think it's a trick and they're just resonators. ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
You'll loose a little on low end with the 1 3/4" pipes. The 1 1/2" will work better all around on a most 650/750 motors. But the differance will be hard to tell unless your racing. Iv'e put three different set ups on my wifes Triumph (ridden daily) and each time she kinda looked at me and said "so what". I finaly settled on 1 1/2" streight pipes with turn outs for sound and simplicity.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.