Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought this triumph a couple of weeks ago, I have lots of plans for it, but I have one concern. The motor turns free and feels like it has good compression,and the tranny feels like it goes through all the gears. Heres my concern I don't want to put a ton of work into this and have to pull the motor later because it needs gone through. I'm more of a body man/fabricator than engine builder, Iv'e done plenty of work to auto engines but never a bike. The bike isn't complete enough to try and start right now, and I don't want to rewire, etc just to try and start it. I need to pull it out to have the frame blasted and powdercoated, and I'd like to stick the motor in just one time and know its going to run. Should I send it to someone? Try rebuilding myself (I usually like to do as much as possible myself), or risk it and hope it runs? Now if I send it out how much should I expect to pay? I know this price could vary tremendously, but lets say serious overhaul-ballpark figure? If I were to send it out, who in california would you guys recomend that would do a good job? Oh yeah the motor is a 1959 pre unit. Thanks-Brian

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think an overhaul on a unit twin is about $1500-2000, but I don't know about preunits. Triumph motors aren't that complicated, but the shitty part is that the old ones are all whitworth...

·
Registered
884 Posts
have you heard of the chicken ranch in orangevale? kens a cantakerous old fart but he's been around for looong time. maybe you could bug him if you decide to do it yourself. also i think if you got a good set of tools like metric and standard and a good old fasioned crecent wrench then you should be able to do most of the work yourself. need any help give me a holla. i don't know much but i know a little.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually the guy I bought the bike from mentioned the chicken ranch, I think that ken had something to do with the last build on the motor.I'll check it out and see if I can get ahold of him. I'm kinda leaning towards dropping it off somewhere and picking it up when its done.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you're serious about doing it yourself and have good shop practices already, it can be done at home.

Cleanliness
Careful measurement
Right tools
Admit when you need help

<for unit motors at least, i'm not sure about a pre-unit>
All of the bearings, save the clutch hub and plain bearings (bushings) are encapsulated ball bearings so you don't have to get into things like honing races, choosing roller bearing sizes, and setting up axial play (like on an HD).

This is probably the biggest reason I think the Triumph is a good motor to do as your first motor.

Get a full set of SAE, Metric, and Whit box wrenches and sockets. You'll need them.

A few special tools are necessary to do such things pull cam gears off, pull clutch hub, pull timing weights (although it can be done by other means).

There's a lot of good documentation and a lot of helpful experts floating around.

Have fun.

Jason

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I love the pre-unit motor. You can send it down here and I could do it. Trans and engine are probably ballparked at $1500 to $2200 depending on whether your cams are any good or not. Never replace a good set of Whitworth sockets and wrenches with a cresent wrench. There are places on a motor where even the whitworth wrenches won't fit. . . . Couple hundred dollars worth of pullers, etc. to really do it right too. [email protected]

wes

·
Registered
169 Posts
Really? Interesting. I like them because 1.) they are 5 minutes from my house; and 2.) each time I've become too frustrated to even look at my bike, loaded it in the truck, and brought it over to them, they discourage me from having it in their shop. Instead, they walk me through the solution so I can do it myself.

That said, Aces, if you have acatalog or web site or something...by all means I'd like to check it out. A dollar is a dollar, and the more I save of those, the more I can dump back into the money pit...er...the bike.

fouraceswes said:
I love it when people compare my prices on parts and labor for Triumph motors to Rabers. Down her we call 'em "Rapers" although they do have the expertise

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Wes at Four Aces did my pre-unit motor top to bottom and checked out my tranny for me. I can vouch for his work. He did and awesome job and I'm super satisfied! He'll do as much or as little as you want and he's a good communicator when it comes to what's going on step by step and where he's at. I recommend you get in touch with him. I honestly think his prices were very reasonable too. Just my $.02.

BTW... where the pics or your bike? Let's see 'em! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scootermcrad said:
Wes at Four Aces did my pre-unit motor top to bottom and checked out my tranny for me. I can vouch for his work. He did and awesome job and I'm super satisfied! He'll do as much or as little as you want and he's a good communicator when it comes to what's going on step by step and where he's at. I recommend you get in touch with him. I honestly think his prices were very reasonable too. Just my $.02.

BTW... where the pics or your bike? Let's see 'em! :)
Thanks everybody, I have a truck I need to sell When I do I'll probably drop it off at either four aces or rabers. I don't have any new pics yet, haven't made much progress in the last couple of weeks. I'll post some soon-Brian

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Let me back up and clarify. I have never heard anything bad about Rabers except that they are pricey. (Is this a "bad" thing" who knows?) I have bought stuff from them in a pinch and they charge more than I would charge. The two times I have called up there, they have been friendly and helpful, just expensive. I had a customer tell me once that I was crazy for my quote of $2000 to rebuild his particular motor. I gave him their number and another guy here in town that will remain nameless. He came back to me with quotes of nearly twice as much for the same work. But they have a big overhead and I totally understand why they quote jobs the way they do. They have an expert staff and when the Clubman show comes up they open their doors and let you walk all through the WHOLE place, talk about COOL!! And sometimes it is worth $10 bucks more on a $30 dollar item to have it right there Saturday afternoon at 3:00 when the cheaper catalogue price or the guy 4oo miles south has it for cheaper. Sometimes you would pay $100 more just to get the job done and go ride. So proximity means alot.

Anyone interested, I am www.fouracescycle.com no catalogue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts