Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever run a street legal triumph 650 (with just a head light, tail light and brake light) off of a capacitor alone...with no battery? the bike i want to try it on has points and a regulator/rectifier box. I ran my other triumph with a regulator/rectifier box and electronic ignition on just a capacitor, but it didn't have lights. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
jake

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jake I think you'll also need either a Mity Max or Tympanium. They store enough charge to run a headlight or taillight while running.

The problem with doing so is that the lights will get very dim at idle and stay fairly dim at low speed.

I'm no expert on the subject, but that's what I've gathered from asking around.

·
Banned
163 Posts
You are incorrect on the first and second statements, sir

Bass said:
Jake I think you'll also need either a Mity Max or Tympanium. They store enough charge to run a headlight or taillight while running.

The problem with doing so is that the lights will get very dim at idle and stay fairly dim at low speed.

I'm no expert on the subject, but that's what I've gathered from asking around.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well sir, could you please enlighten the rest of us to what the correct combination of parts would be? I've never ran the combo of no battery and points so I was just stating what I'd gathered from other people (who apparently didn't know either.)

Maybe try to be helpful for once?

·
Registered
175 Posts
For the record, I have never talked shit about you or your work, Hackasaw.

But I can see that's not stopping you from spewing your mindless bullshit all over an otherwise helpful internet message board.

Respect is earned not given. And if you keep showing your true colors and talking shit about someone you don't know, I will promise you that its going to come back and bite you in the ass.

So I'll put this clearly so maybe you can understand it....fuck you and don't you ever fucking talk shit to me again. One day maybe we'll meet face to face and we'll see what you have to say then, you fucking coward.

-Brian Bass

·
Banned
163 Posts
otherwise helpful?

I'm sorry you tech advice is not correct just the same but it is very manly to pre-type a disclaimer to blame your sources if you aren't regurgitating what you heard or read elsewhere...... correctly or your sources are simply wrong.

I cannot see how pointing out your are in error is talking shit but I'll just chalk that up to the mentality of the majority.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bass said:
For the record, I have never talked shit about you or your work, Hackasaw.

But I can see that's not stopping you from spewing your mindless bullshit all over an otherwise helpful internet message board.

Respect is earned not given. And if you keep showing your true colors and talking shit about someone you don't know, I will promise you that its going to come back and bite you in the ass.

So I'll put this clearly so maybe you can understand it....fuck you and don't you ever fucking talk shit to me again. One day maybe we'll meet face to face and we'll see what you have to say then, you fucking coward.

-Brian Bass

·
Banned
163 Posts
coming from a greenhorn that clearly demonstrates his lack of knoweldge or understanding of a very basic system

this means very much to me

thank you,

I'll always treasure it

Oh, and you've yet to correct your incorrect tech.

You don't you try and be helpful?

Bass said:
I thought you might, since it's more on your level. Now go fuck yourself.

:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
HackAsaw said:
I cannot see how pointing out your are in error is talking shit but I'll just chalk that up to the mentality of the majority.
I see you went back and edited your post after you had time to work up a reply in that nice big brain of yours. (See, I can use sarcasm as well.)

You can't see how you talked shit to me? Shall I post the two private messages you've sent to me? The one from several days ago and the one you sent earlier today? The contents of which are nothing but unwarranted bashing of both me and my bikes and projects?

Or do you want me to keep those to myself so you can feel better about yourself?

Perhaps you didn't read me the first time? I'll type it again, read carefully:

FUCK OFF YOU WORTHLESS SACK OF SHIT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HackAsaw said:
Your tech is still incorrect.

But I am enjoying your juvenile display.
I dont post too much on this or any board unless I have something to offer, instead I read and learn as much as possible. So far this is what I have learned from you mister Hackasaw..... all you seem to do is talk a bunch of shit. Bass clearly said hes not sure about the advise he gave, and you were quick to point out how wrong he was. But what you still havent done is even bother to give the correct answer. WTF is your problem???

If you want to chime in on a post asking for guidence then give some. It helps not only you, not look like such a cocksucker, but also the guy that needs the help.

BTW Ive seen some of your work (welds mainly) and Brians, and you really dont need to be talking shit.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brian last week with my buddy Rob, and not only does his work blow away any I have seen in along time, but hes one of the nicest guys out there.

One day hack you will meet some of the people you have pissed off, and it will be a day you live to forget. You might want to stay away from Dallas.

Sorry to hijack the post ...Dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
sodapop said:
I dont post too much on this or any board unless I have something to offer, instead I read and learn as much as possible. So far this is what I have learned from you mister Hackasaw..... all you seem to do is talk a bunch of shit. Bass clearly said hes not sure about the advise he gave, and you were quick to point out how wrong he was. But what you still havent done is even bother to give the correct answer. WTF is your problem???

If you want to chime in on a post asking for guidence then give some. It helps not only you, not look like such a cocksucker, but also the guy that needs the help.

BTW Ive seen some of your work (welds mainly) and Brians, and you really dont need to be talking shit.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brian last week with my buddy Rob, and not only does his work blow away any I have seen in along time, but hes one of the nicest guys out there.

One day hack you will meet some of the people you have pissed off, and it will be a day you live to forget. You might want to stay away from Dallas.

Sorry to hijack the post ...Dave
I was going to have to interject here myself but now I think I'll just let Dave speak for me. Preach on brother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
I was going to have to interject here myself but now I think I'll just let Dave speak for me. Preach on brother.
LOL!!! It takes quite a bit to get me to post something like that.
But this isnt the first time Ive wanted to post something about hack ( the lowercase h is on purpose)
I just started thinking that shit like his night be why there are so few new threads on this board...My .02
Dave

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't understand why this escalated to shit slinging, and I don't care. Vic. Cycle asked a good question and I can offer this, I have known several people that have tried to do what you want, and from my buddies with Triumphs to the Indian Scout no one that I know has been truely able to eliminate the battery. That's in 35 years. It may be possible but I remember when battery eliminators were sold that were just a capacitor and no one I knew had any luck with them. I hope you find the solution and when you do please post it. As far as the bull shit that goes with this post no one needs it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ya' know what sucks about this whole thread... amongst all this, a straight answer hasn't been given to the question... I fear for the future of the JJ with threads like this. Seems like this is happening more and more as it grows.

In the mean time, I would like to hear the answer to the question as well. Does anyone know or can anyone expand on the original reply for the guy who posted the question?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got this answer from a reliable source (i'm sure Hack will disagree):

For a Unit Triumph: "Batteryless requires a Tympanium, a coil, a condensor, and a capacitor...along with your stock points plate.

Wire from the points plate to the condensor to the coil....wattage will be dependent on the revs of your motor."

Of course electronic ignition (Boyer) will not work properly without a battery, and if you are running a Magneto, you would set it up differently.

I sent this info a little while ago to Jake, who posted the original question.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts