Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove my pressure plate so I can get to the clutch plates. Managed to get two nuts off, but the third one is kicking my aRse big time. Already used an array of long nose pliers, screw drivers & even made a 'special tool' turned out to be not that special. Any clues?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I cut a deeper slot into the nut with a grinding wheel , you could use a file, another time i think i just put the old channel locks on it when it was not turning smoothly and there was nothing left of the nut. I have been taking the burr off the end of the springs and that seems to help the shearing the spring does on the back of the nut making it hard to remove.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
many times that resistance is the spring getting caught inside the cup, you are going to have to do what ever it takes to get past it. A good quality clutch nut tool does help but you can make one out of an old file or screwdriver. that spring will likely be ruined when you get it off..

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Seems all the ones I have the edge of the spring is grinding on the spring nut outside the cup. It makes a bunch of brass shaving when taking it off thats why i have been deburring the ends of the springs it helps. I have the clutch nuts from lowbrow they are nice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I made a tool from a large thick washer grooved to clear the stud then a sharpend screwdriver to slip under the edge of the cup so the peg on the cup gets lifted out of its notch for one revolution,reinserting the wedge end so the peg does not re engage

·
Registered
128 Posts
I cant remember who , but a jjer here sells the replacement for those in an allen key configuration, with a tit in the center , he sells other stuff too like pre unit finned oil feed pipes,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Triumph say that you must press the spring away from the nut before attempting to turn the nut. Said nut has a 'pip' that acts as a lock against the spring's end.

Cosmo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys.

I managed to get it off tonight. Bought a big screwdriver, ran a grinder down the middle. Also had to grind into the screw at both sides of the shoulder as I'd rounded them off with all the slipping, so I could get a better grip on the screw head. Major pain in the bahookie. Turns out the plates were all stuck together with a film of oil. Probably put in too much ATF in. The issue had been the bike would crunch into first & stall. So I take it I dry them off stick them back in check for wobble, reset the pushrod 3/4" turn back, set the clutch 1/8" play, how much ATF, one cup? I had close to a pint in there....

·
Registered
286 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts