Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Did the search thing for the last few days, but haven't found anything to help. It started when I went to kick my 69 T120R and it didn't spin the motor. Opened outer transmission inspection cover to see that the kicker gear did spin the transmission. Clutch cable adjustment = nothing. Clutch adjustment = nothing. Unhooked clutch cable & took off outer transmission cover. The pushrod bush was shredded. Bits of brass in oil. Still a little inside shaft though. I need to replenish that for sure. Questions I have:

1. What causes this? I've read about improper gear indexing, but I am sure that is correct. Is there anything else?

2. Will the bush being shredded cause the clutch the engage preventing the motor kicking over?

3. I installed clutch, transmission myself. Are there common mistakes with clutch set up/initial adjustment that would cause this?

4. Whats the easiest way to replenish the clutch rod bush? Don't want to go in ad force it and potentially cause damage.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
these are my opinions on this...
1. improper indexing should only effect the gear shifting, not clutch operation.
2. the bush being wasted should have much effect on the engine kicking over it does allow the rod to flex and effects disengagement .
3. clutch plate set up is very important in this area, but if you put enough clutch spring in there it will spin the engine over fine but it may not disengage easily.
4. the way I replace the bushing is take a 5/16" tap and put some threads in the bushing, then thread a 5/16 bolt in there and take the hammer and using the push rod knock the bushing out from the clutch side.
As far as the clutch slipping check the basket notches from banging plates that will prevent the plates from properly laying flat against each other,
then don't use motor oil in the primary case, use ATF, this helps the plates work without slipping.

hope this helps, Tony

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Tony. Do you know what would cause the brass bush shredding up? The trans oil was a little low, but not so much that it did anything to the trans as far as I can tell. I thought that maybe the rod wasn't lubricated enough and expanded and chewed up the bush.

Also, whats the best method of fitting the new one?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello man,
that s nothing at all.
Solution: press the clutch lever then kick couple of times; ok, just fixed.
Now kick to start

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
most of the time those bushings get wiped out by guys sitting at a red light and holding the clutch handle in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts