Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nut that holds the clutch on keeps coming loose. I put it on with a impact so I know it was tight but twice now it has come undone while riding. I don't mean the spring nuts, the big one under it. Am I missing a lock washer or something?

Time to take a $35 cab ride home to get my pick up truck. Fuck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Later 650's, ('69-on?) had a locking type nut with no tab washer. It happened when they changed the mainshaft to SAE threads. But if you had it impact tight I bet something is worn or not spinning true and vibrating. Did you have the washer under the nut?

·
Registered
706 Posts
In addition to the good advice given above, with all these old bikes it's often a good idea to lap tapers with fine lapping compound before assembly. It's a good way to check whether the tapered surfaces are true or not. Obviously, if the taper is out of kilter, the hub will wobble around on there, etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Forget the impact gun,fine for your cars wheels but really not good for your poor old Triumph.Use a proper long torque wrench,some loctite if you must and try bluing the tapers to check for fit and correct with a swiss file.Lapping tapers is a waste of time.Check also your clutch rubbers are up to scratch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.