Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 53 triumph and need to wire it.... it's a stripped down old chopper.

It has a bunch of wires on it, but I think I want to strip it all out and start over.

Whats the best way?

Thanks....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: wiring 101 School me.

Starting from scratch is definitely the best way.

Since your bike is a '53, I'm guessing your running the Lucas mag....do you want to run a battery or no?

There are a few different wiring schematics on the net, but I'll draw up what I'm using and post it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
bobbleed said:
Cool, thanks..... Dude I have a million questions for you...

This is wierd, I feel like I'm standing in a dark room or something......
Yeah...I've got that feeling like everyone is staring at me. hahaha

Ask away...I might be able to answer, or I might not. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The questions will come as I get more into building this thing..... First off, wheres the best place to get a 21" front wheel and what kind of tire do you use on the front of your bikes?

I just want to make this thing run, then I'll blow it all apart and build it...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The cheapest place to find a 21" spool wheel is typically ebay....although you may occassionally see one pop up at a swap meet.

You can get a new 21" wheel with bearings from V-Twin Mfg. Part #52-0173.... http://www.vtwinmfg.com/

I ran a 3.00-21 Avon Speedmaster Rib front on the last bike...and I'm running an IRC 3.00-21 flat tracker rib tire on the current one. You could also run a cheap Cheng Shin rib that looks a lot like the Avon Speedmaster.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow..Bobleed and Bass..two rulers! Hey Bob, Love that fuzzbomb! Had a blast with Mel in it up in New Jersey last week. No tags and cops waving at us.. Anyway, back to the bikes. Seek out your local Triumph guy. Every town has at least one. I can hook you up with a couple in my area if you like.

I found the best way ti wire up a new project is to strip it all out and start over. The wiring is pretty basic after all. Its just a head light and tail light and a brake light. Pretty straight forward stuff. It gets more complicated if you have electronic ignition and stuff. Post some pics!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spike! said:
Wow..Bobleed and Bass..two rulers! Hey Bob, Love that fuzzbomb! Had a blast with Mel in it up in New Jersey last week. No tags and cops waving at us.. Anyway, back to the bikes. Seek out your local Triumph guy. Every town has at least one. I can hook you up with a couple in my area if you like!
.........shut up Spike!........you're a douche bag!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kinda miss the fuzzbomb..... it will be a killer car someday.

Anyway heres the triumph...... it supposedly ran, but I diddn't have a key, so I just started cutting wires.......

It has some sort of regulator box thingy in it some wires don't go anyplace....

I almost think this bike is too neat as it is, I want to get it running and clean it up and maybe make some minor changes..... it's kind of a survior. It has killer patina. So I don't know if I'll change it too much, but I'd like to.

I do have tons of big plans for it. I know nothing about motorcycles, so I have no rules to follow. I'm pretty excited about it.. We'll see.

This jokey Jornal is great timing for me, because I have alot to learn.

Attachments

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Bass said:
Yeah...I've got that feeling like everyone is staring at me
Weird, huh?

The concept of "survivors" in bikedom is nearly nonexistent. It's cool to leave an old, unmodified Flatty/Knuck/Pan unrestored...but not a chopper.

Let's change that :)

PS- Bitchen start their Bob.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The bike looks good as it sit, Bob, though I'm sure you'll find ways to improve on it. It's cool to see a bike running a girder that isn't like 1000" over and stretched all to hell.

·
Registered
396 Posts
a few tips on wiring

Charging system and ignition system... They are 2 completely different things...

Charging system keeps the battery at full charge...

ignition system fires the spark plugs...

all ignition systems are dependent on the charging system except one, that is the magneto...

you can run a triumph without a battery because it has a permanent magnet rotor and therefore does not need some power from a battery to produce power...

You can run without a battery and use standard points and coil ignition system...

The problem when running without a battery is the amount of pieces on the bike that require voltage... the less voltage consumers the better... and since you are not running a battery, the lights flicker at low engine speeds...

it is not reccomended running no batery when using electronic ignitions because they like steady voltage and consume more than a points system... if you run a magneto ignition system, it makes it's own power so battery power is no concern, other than to keep the lights lit...

even without a battery, you need the componets to convert and regulate the output of the alternator (40-50 volts AC) to what the lights (and ignition if using points and coils) uses (12-14 volts DC) these components are a regulator and rectifier... aftermarket electronic components combine the regulator and rectifier together such as Tympanium & Podtronics Additionally, Mity Max combines a capacitor...

The capacitor is not required but does help control light flicker by storing voltage and releasing it as nessessary (low engine speeds)... It also stores voltage over long periods so you have some voltage when you go to start it... instead of relying on a good strong fast kick to get some power out of the charging system...

Wiring concerns when running no battery: the switches need wired in a fashion as to be able to turn on and off ignition and lights independently... If your lights are on and you try to start the bike, the lights are going to draw power from the ignition and make it hard to impossible to start, unless you are using a magneto ignition system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BAD ASS. Thanks. Some one told me I need a midy max.....

Yeah I guess I realise the whole survivior thing doesn't matter too much with bikes, but its kind of a respect thing for me.

That triumph has been a chopper longer than it was a triumph..... Anyway I am going to change it eventually, but I do think its pretty neat the way it is.

I have some pretty radical plans for it actually. Things I've never seen on a bike before. If I can pull it off, it will be crazy.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
421 Posts
bobbleed said:
Yeah I guess I realise the whole survivior thing doesn't matter too much with bikes, but its kind of a respect thing for me.

That triumph has been a chopper longer than it was a triumph..... Anyway I am going to change it eventually, but I do think its pretty neat the way it is.
Well Bob, you're a pretty creative guy so I won't pretend to tell you what to do with your bike but I WILL say that it looks very cool 'as is' and I too think that there should be a survivor concept when it comes to bikes. It looks like whoever did that bike did a good job at one time and does deserve some respect. Hell yeah, wire that thing up and have fun ridin' it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bob, that bike has a mag on it at the front of the engine. remove the wire to it and it'll run. charging is for the lights only.Use the the mity max and you'll be riding in no timeThat bike is bitchin' as-is!!Clean it,tune it, and beat it!!

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Where the heck did you find that one? (lucky bastard:D )My vote is also to get it running and ride it. If you need to build something, find a basket case, which are not too hard to find. You have a very cool bike "as is"....have fun.

You can run the mag with just the plug wires...the small wire is for a kill switch, and not reeded if you stall it to stop the motor. No key is needed.

Of course the charging system is needed if you want any lights on it, but not necessary to ride it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts