Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 1969 Bonneville with a springer front end. The springer has a 7/8" stem on it. My front end has been really sloppy lately and I would like to convert the bearings to the Timken style tapered roller bearings. No one seems to carry such a conversion kit. I've checked with Klemphs, LowBrow and Four Aces. There is a conversion kit for the original size, but not 7/8". I've looked on the Timken website and can't seem to find a cup/cone combination that will work.

My last resort is a custom bearing supplier but thought someone here may have dealt with this before. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Get a Timken conversion kit for the stock '69 front end from LowBrow and have 2 spacers machined. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I think that's the way to go. Just machine a couple of sleeves for the stem and use the 1" bearings. I'll post my results when I finish. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try and post some picks this weekend. I got the bearing conversion kit from Low Brows. Just need to have two spacers made to adapt the bearings to the 7/8" stem. Should not be too big a deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what I discovered. The original triumph neck bearing cups and balls were used. A piece of brass and some shim stock were used to compensate for the difference. Hard to see in the pictures though. But this explains my squirley front end feeling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts