Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK: I got a bolt-on hardtail for my 66 triumph 500. The old swingarm seemed to be about the same size, but for some reason, my axle feels loose after tightening it back onto the rigid. Not too loose, just not as tight as it was before. Maybe I'm imagining things. I have no side to side play, nor back and forth. I have one of the speedo drives that is on the axle right side of the bike. I kept it on, even though I have took off the speedo. Do I need to get a bushing machined? I have ridden the bike around the block a few times, and all seems well. Being this is one of the most important parts of the bike, I don't want to open it up and freeze a bearing or shift my axle.

Anyone gone through this, or am I just worringing needlesly?

Thanks,
Erron

·
Registered
338 Posts
On the Drive/sprocket side of the hub is a threaded peice that needs a spanner wrench to take off (you cant miss it). It is Under the brake backing plate. This puts tension on the bearings and spacer inside the hub, if this is not adjusted properly you could have the side to side play. Try that out.
ratwagon said:
OK: I got a bolt-on hardtail for my 66 triumph 500. The old swingarm seemed to be about the same size, but for some reason, my axle feels loose after tightening it back onto the rigid. Not too loose, just not as tight as it was before. Maybe I'm imagining things. I have no side to side play, nor back and forth. I have one of the speedo drives that is on the axle right side of the bike. I kept it on, even though I have took off the speedo. Do I need to get a bushing machined? I have ridden the bike around the block a few times, and all seems well. Being this is one of the most important parts of the bike, I don't want to open it up and freeze a bearing or shift my axle.

Anyone gone through this, or am I just worringing needlesly?

Thanks,
Erron

·
Registered
338 Posts
You said no side to side play. What's loose???
Faust said:
On the Drive/sprocket side of the hub is a threaded peice that needs a spanner wrench to take off (you cant miss it). It is Under the brake backing plate. This puts tension on the bearings and spacer inside the hub, if this is not adjusted properly you could have the side to side play. Try that out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Faust said:
You said no side to side play. What's loose???
I think I meant to say that the axle isn't quite centered anymore. I had to move the axle over a bit from where it was with the swingarm to line up with the chain. In doing this I loosened the nut by the sprocket, spun the axle until it was where it needed to be, and am not sure if I am overtightening it.
Make sense?
Erron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts