Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have what I thought to be a head gasket leak. I Havnt taken it off and properly resealed head gasket but I did retorque and change rocker gaskets and pushrod seals. I lost a rocker cap riding hard and the oil leak stopped cold. Is this a pressure isssue causing it to push oil out somwhere bacause of pressure buildup. 71 t120 ,morgo 75o top , high comp pistons, Stock cams, stock valves . I never checked the head for warpage because it had been recut and has new valves. Only venting I know of is primary and the shared oil thru the crankcase to primary. I.am still gonna pull the head again but I'm wondering if I can vent a rocker cap. The leak is minor , comp . Is great and it runs like a raped ape...Ken. with rocker cap off ran like a beast.
Ps, I have retorque thru heat cycles and used more torque up to 38lbs or so and did it from the get go. About 250 miles on the breakin and I think rings are good.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You might find that someone has fitted an oil seal between the crankcase and primary case.The drive-side crankcase was still bored with the seal diameter,even though the seal was left out from 1970 to allow breathing through the primary.

If someone mistakenly fitted a seal behind the crank sprocket,you have no breather.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
worn or improperly reamed valve guides can cause excessive pressure and oil leaks on the exhaust side, and oil consumption and smoking on the intake side.
I have heard that the proper exhaust rocker box pressure is used to push the oil back down the pushrod tubes.

But what ever works, works.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have had this engine rebuilt and the it shares oil in the primary still Mr. Pete. I'm gonna looks at the valve guides too when I take the head off again. I just added an open hole so if it fills and doesn't return its gonna come out the cap I would imagine. ill just keep an eye out. Thanks for the input .. i have heard good things about using 50 wieght oil and champion plugs for hot weather. I am going to try a cooler plug to see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.