Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im about to change the transmission bearing in the case of my 650 4 speed. the bearing that came out looked the same on both sides, the new bearing i have is open on one side and has a plastic piece covering the rollers on the other side. anyone have an opinion on which way it should go in or does it matter. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I would be tempted to leave in on, as it would probably reduce leakage from the mainshaft. (Just be sure to install it with the seal facing outwards!)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I put it in facing inward. It's not solid and the old bearing was open on both sides so I figured it was to regulate oil passage through the bearing. Thanks for your opinions guys. If I find out anything different I will let you know what's up.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If the plastic piece, attached to your bearing, looks like this, it is simply the cage that keeps the ball bearings in position as they roll. It does not matter which way it faces. This is a British made bearing btw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pic and info dan, that's it. I didn't think it would matter but I still wanted to ask. I placed it facing away from the oil seal. Thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts