Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was discussing the build up of my Tiger with a guy that I know and he was trying to convince me to run a 16" back wheel on my project. I really like the 18" stock look but he keep saying that I could get it lower with a 16". My main problem with that is that it would never be able to get on the instate with that kind of wheel with out being pretty much wrapped out at like 6 or 7 grand. Well I am sure not that much but damn close. Am I right about this? I mean it would seem about the same on what happens to a car when you put smaller wheels on it the RPMS go up because the revolutions that the back wheel is now making. Right?

·
Registered
504 Posts
hmmm,

never really thought about wheels effecting rpms. to me, only the gearing makes difference of rpms.

now which ever wheel weighs more than the other will effect rpms to a certain point,

am i wrong?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kind of felt the same way. About the look that is. I understand the sprokets can be changed and all but you know that is just more work to sit and figure out. I haven't had a bike now for 6 years and this new project is just eating at me.

·
Banned
163 Posts
if you look at any manufacturers online tire sizing charts....

you will find that between 16 and 18 inch rears

rolling diameters, which indeed do have a direct effect on engine rpm vs vehicle speed...... just as geearing does....

well they can be had from 23.5 inches to 27

so do the basic math and see just how much more each diameter covers with each rotation

and then gear that fugger tall enough to go the salt flats.... or taller

I like 21 and 40-42 and a 27 inch tall 140 series 18 incher on the rear

easily cruises 85-90

if you are bent on using the triumph cotton spool..... go with the 43 T sprocket cast onto a drum....... and pull the mainshaft out to stick in at least a 22

stock gearing is miserable and results in a bike the next best thing to walking for covering real miles at interstate speeds

of course some may disagree but I don't like shaking my bikes apart or having to cruise 60 mph before the harmonics start getting ugly

and typically...... the 18 inch rear can save you about five pounds...... hubs and such being equal

·
Banned
163 Posts
and btw Eman....... that is one hell of a money shot somebody snapped of that spectacular launch...... did you do that?

a tip of my motor drive to the photographer of that one

thanks

and that is also one wicked shop fan

·
Banned
163 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
I have a 16 inch rear and machined the case around the front sprocket and put a bigger front sprocket on it to compensated for the 16 inch wheel.I can run 75 mph all day long on the interstate but thats only before the bike disassmbles it from vibration.:D

Shoe
a MT90H16 (26.5") is much taller than the stock diameter 18 but at the same time 23.5 inch tall 16's can be had

I typically take a die grinder to the man hole cover opening to fit a 21 but have never had any need to set one up in the mill to make that happen

takes about fifteen minutes with a good non-ferrous metal rotary burr

and you lose the threaded holes and od of the cover to stuff a 22 or larger in that hole so that's why anything larger than a 21 requires mainshaft removal..... unless you wanted to get real bold and run a split sprocket

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm running a 4.5x19 on the rear, and a 3.75x 19 on the front. 66 tri 500cc with 10" stretched hardtail. Both wheels with avon ribbed tires. I love the way it looks.

16 or 18... No difference if you use Avon tires.... My experience. But 18's look way cooler.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Spike that back fender brace is just wicked, I love it. I heard from a few people that went to the HAMB drags and was a little upset to hear that the Triumph's only ran in the 14-13 range but then again I think that the Flyrite (Harley Sportster 11-12's) was a purpose built bike so I could be wrong. I am really leaning torwards putting on one of the plunger back sections on my bike. They just look so fucking neat. But I am wanting to make sure to get a long 6 to 7" stretch in the back. Just the idea.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I was the only triumph there and the best I could lay down was a 15.3 @84 mph this was with my big frt sprocket on and suicide shiftin and never quite hittin 2nd gear.I believe with a little work and a left side foot shift I could be in the 13"s easy.I am tellin you been raised around racin its one thing to go 12's and 13's pretty easy for cars or bikes ,it starts to gettin serious and purpose built when your goin faster.The flyrite sporty was suffer from some carb problems.

Shoe

asillymick said:
Hey Spike that back fender brace is just wicked, I love it. I heard from a few people that went to the HAMB drags and was a little upset to hear that the Triumph's only ran in the 14-13 range but then again I think that the Flyrite (Harley Sportster 11-12's) was a purpose built bike so I could be wrong. I am really leaning torwards putting on one of the plunger back sections on my bike. They just look so fucking neat. But I am wanting to make sure to get a long 6 to 7" stretch in the back. Just the idea.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
I was the only triumph there and the best I could lay down was a 15.3 @84 mph this was with my big frt sprocket on and suicide shiftin and never quite hittin 2nd gear.I believe with a little work and a left side foot shift I could be in the 13"s easy.I am tellin you been raised around racin its one thing to go 12's and 13's pretty easy for cars or bikes ,it starts to gettin serious and purpose built when your goin faster.The flyrite sporty was suffer from some carb problems.

Shoe
Brother I was going by what had been told me by someone that was there so I meant no offense by any means, here in OKC there is a guy that has a bar hopper that is just as evil as any drag bike as you have ever seen. Now in a quarter it might not be shit. But I have seen him eat up his fair share of big dollar bikes to make a point. And that shit is all fun til you want to leave the city and head somewhere else... I still dig the shit out of that bike you have.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No offense taken.From what I was told bike left hard and carried the front wheel out of the line thats where that 6 in extended hardtail comes in handy.I put a cheap chen sheng goodyear copy tire on it and it feels really soft as it never felt like it was spinning.I actually rode my bike on the 35 mile cruise then rode about 30 miles to track raced and road her back 30 miles.I will ride her as long as she will let me the bike is kinda of the boss if ya know what i mean...LOL

shoe

asillymick said:
Brother I was going by what had been told me by someone that was there so I meant no offense by any means, here in OKC there is a guy that has a bar hopper that is just as evil as any drag bike as you have ever seen. Now in a quarter it might not be shit. But I have seen him eat up his fair share of big dollar bikes to make a point. And that shit is all fun til you want to leave the city and head somewhere else... I still dig the shit out of that bike you have.

·
Registered
944 Posts
HackAsaw said:
and btw Eman....... that is one hell of a money shot somebody snapped of that spectacular launch...... did you do that?

a tip of my motor drive to the photographer of that one

thanks

and that is also one wicked shop fan
As it was a great pic, it's kind of obvious it's not one of mine :)

It was taken at Sturgis at the FLASH race. I snagged it from this site: http://www.loozecannonz.com/

Do you have a source for 22 tooth gearbox sprockets?

·
Banned
163 Posts
Englishman said:
As it was a great pic, it's kind of obvious it's not one of mine :)

It was taken at Sturgis at the FLASH race. I snagged it from this site: http://www.loozecannonz.com/

Do you have a source for 22 tooth gearbox sprockets?
I don't know about all that modesty, I have a fantastic shot you snapped on the wall of my office and would enlarge it if I had the slide/negative.... never been thrilled with the results/expense of enlarging them with less.

On the 22T, I do believe so but I can't remember the last time I ordered any brit parts. I guess I need to since I have three engines needing to be wrapped up if I ever get in the mood. Do you want one? I think........ I still have a 24T laying about but I made that one.

It's really tough to snap a pic like that. I was glad to finally get a digital with a motordrive mode so FINALLY, I have a pic or two of a second gear jockey-ish shifted and suicide clutch'd wheelie on one of my own which sounds to me, like it's easier to pilot thru the quarter than the long shifter handle'd by the tank versions. None similar so far on the flatty but I don't beat it that hard although it's the only true suicide/jockey machine I own. With a stratospheric 35T on the engine...... I'm simply amazed it will even pull the front wheel in first.

well I'm too lazy to edit Mozilla's configs to allow me to cut and paste this post so it doesn't appear to be so fragmented......and it's just about time to bruise the monkey this am

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
21 on frt, rear is 69 bolt on style sprocket not sure of teeth, chen cheng good year copy tire 16 in ,650 bonnie dual carb. Best mph was 86mph and that was not hittin second gear very smooth
Shoe
HackAsaw said:
Shoe,

what gearing are you running and how tall a rear tire?

what is it's top speed?

650? 750? 4 speed? 5 speed?

most I see do well to break an honest 90mph, much less get there in the 440

1 - 20 of 25 Posts