Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the rocker box gaskets on my motor, which is a du**** I believe that makes it a November '71 model. Below is a picture of the new gaskets I have, but it doesn't appear that the two holes I have circled line up with anything on my motor. I replaced them before with this same gasket and they seem to be leaking in that area already. My bike is pretty mismatched and has old chrome rocker boxes on it so it could have an earlier head I suppose. Do I need a different gasket?

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
That looks like the same gasket i use for mine and it's a 69. Can't be sure though. Maybe post a pic of your rocker covers.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it's not a great picture with them still on the bike, but if you look close you can see where the part of the gasket I circled is hanging out, and looks like it's leaking around there too.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Why do you need gaskets? A thin film of Yamabond (on one surface only) is all you need. The only gaskets in my Triumphs and BSA are the head gaskets.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nevermind. Im dumb today. I did think it odd that those holes were so much smaller. Obviously for alignment dowels. Oops.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
no motor with a serial number beginning with the letters DU is any newer than mid 1969, a 71 motor should begin with AE through PE,
and a 71 head has locating pins on it. you just need the earlier style rocker gaskets.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no motor with a serial number beginning with the letters DU is any newer than mid 1969, a 71 motor should begin with AE through PE,
and a 71 head has locating pins on it. you just need the earlier style rocker gaskets.
Thanks! I must have been thinking of my other bike this motor is PG39*** I do see on the head where it looks like it could have pins, of course there are none there and the rocker boxes don't match up. I guess I'll be ordering earlier style gaskets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts