Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a 1971 Triumph 650 bobber. I rewired it all to negative ground with Boysen electronic ignition and a electronic regulator/rectifier. I also run a battery. The only loads I have are a 12V Bates headlight and a LED read/brake light. While riding it last week the engine started to miss. It got worse then quit. There was no power to the lights, which made me think it was a fuse. I checked the fuses they were fine, I though the stator quit, but the battery was charged. I got it home, checked the connections, cleaned the grounds. When I turned the key on, the lights go bright, as soon as I kick it over they dim, then slowly come back to full brightness. I disconnected the stator and the same thing happens. It did fire for a second then died. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
your battery sounds like it is gone bad, cheap batteries only last about a year, good ones only last about 2-3 years.
your bike should be able to run without a battery if the charging system is working well, disconnect the battery turn the lights off and see if it will run, it may not run smoothly without a capacitor in place of the battery but it will fire up.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
are the coils the proper OHMs for the electronic ignition? 6 OHM or less total for the coils so use the stock 6 volt coils.

The Spark plug wires copper or silicone? use copper

NOTES: Coil Requirements - Boyer Electronic Ignition Kits work best with less than six ohms total resistance on the primary side of the coils. Since the coils are wired in series, the resistance is the total of all the resistance in all the ignition coils in the system. Stock 12 Volt coils have 3.5 ohms of resistance each, so a twin cylinder bike with two coils has a total resistance of seven ohms, and a three cylinder bike has a total resistance of 10.5 ohms; both more then the limit of the Boyer kits. The modification is to install 6 Volt ignition coils, which have a resistance of approximately 1.7 ohms each, so that the total resistance in a twin is 3.4 ohms, and in a triple is 5.1 ohms, both within the allowed impedence range. Only the the ignition system is involved, nothing else needs to be changed. Since single cylinder bikes have one coil (3.5 ohms) they do not require a new coil. Later Norton Commandos have six volt coils with a ballast resistor so the coils are kept and the ballast resistor removed. Every kit is supplied with complete instructions and a troubleshooting guide.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/html/data_sheets.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts