Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1970 a65 that when i reve out second gear it will pop out of gear and the reves will ramp way up. i can shift in to second and hold the shifter up with my foot and second will hold regardless of rpm. i have no problems with any of the other gears.
just wanting to see what some might think is causing the problem. a gear or a shifting fork. i have a complete gear set but will have to look around to find shifting forks.
so?

·
Registered
770 Posts
The first thing to try is adjusting the gearchange stop spring. 70 and newer is a different setup than the earlier bikes. Pretty easy to try, just pull the outer timing cover. I don't think any manual mentions this, but that cup which mounts the spring is eccentric.......bolthole isn't in the middle. Rotate it some- trial and error. Sometimes this can fix a problem like that, although I associate it more with probs up around 4th down to third. Like I just mentioned to somebody else, don't let the kickstart spring and plate slip off shaft while messing around in there.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've seen this problem more than just a few times. You might be able to solve your problems by doing what beaverbikes said, but if that doesn't work, you might have a worn camplate/ detent plunger, but far more likely than that, you probably have worn engagement dogs on the 2nd gear cluster. The only cure is to remove the entire gearbox (not as hard as it sounds) and back grind the dogs on the suspect gears so they will remain engaged or better yet, replace them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.