Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from any Harley experts. The pic is from an ad and claims to be a 1962 Harley that was parked for 18 yrs. Decent price...but if a '62...shouldnt it be a panhead? Or am I way off. Thought I would pick a few brains before attempting to contact. Thanks for any help, info, ideas, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
well as I'm sure you know, those aren't panheads
Could be a 62 bottom end with 66+newer shovelheads

Get a picture of the VIN boss on the left side engine case, that should tell ya what's up with it

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There won't be a number on the frame - or at least there shouldn't be. There wasn't a number on the original '62 frame that this motor started life in, either. (if it is a '62) If the VIN on the left case is unaltered, and matches the Harley-Davidson title, then you'd be good to go. Anything else, it's either not worth as much (like a special construction title or a state assigned VIN) or it's time to walk away (altered numbers.)

·
Registered
726 Posts
yup I would have to agree with M.O ther 3-4000 maybe???
There won't be a number on the frame - or at least there shouldn't be. There wasn't a number on the original '62 frame that this motor started life in, either. (if it is a '62) If the VIN on the left case is unaltered, and matches the Harley-Davidson title, then you'd be good to go. Anything else, it's either not worth as much (like a special construction title or a state assigned VIN) or it's time to walk away (altered numbers.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the owner it is a '49 frame, '62 lower with title matching numbers on case (nothing altered and original title), with '66 shovel top. Says it has been sitting for 18 yrs, but everything is there. Its way down south. Hate to drive that far...and I would have to talk him down from 5k. Maybe let this one slide.

G

·
According to the owner it is a '49 frame, '62 lower with title matching numbers on case (nothing altered and original title), with '66 shovel top. Says it has been sitting for 18 yrs, but everything is there. Its way down south. Hate to drive that far...and I would have to talk him down from 5k. Maybe let this one slide.
Where way down South?

·
Registered
935 Posts
what do you think it will cost to get it totally mechanically rebuilt ? because realistically thats what it may need in the end.anyone who restores bikes and makes a profit in this economy is a professional restorer,the hobby guy subs so much work out ,the numbers wont work.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Go check it out and bring cash. Definately a good start with the frame and engine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
no way!! here in CT 5 grand gets you just a motor, not even a running motor. 5 grand is a great price as long as the motor spins free.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A phone conversation revealed the motor spins, trans is sound, and bike ran and drove when parked 18 years ago. Needs rewiring. of course this is a phone conversation...but def worth looking into. If he still has it this weekend i will cruise down and take a look. I really dont need to unhand the cash right now...but if it is still there this weekend I figure the stars aligned just right and it was meant to be.

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
That bikes been for sale down there for a few months.. Something fishy maybe.. I had some interaction with the guy and my gut instinct was telling me to stay away.

Good luck with it! Let us know what "Pans" out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.