Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Years ago I bought a '66 TR6C to restore. At the time I thought someone had taken off the original lights, so I was shopping around for those parts.

During the initial work on the bike, I noticed that it didn't have a battery, but it still started and ran fine!. It confused me. Cycle Hub in Portland was still in business, so I called them and talked with Cliff. He asked me a few questions about the bike, and after a short conversation he told me I had one of the 'desert sleds' that were imported by Johnson Motors.

In his estimation, what convinced him it was an 'SC', was that it had alloy fenders, no battery (magneto ignition), folding footpegs, original black grips (they show white in the catalog, but he said not a single one was actually delivered that way, so white grips on an 'SC' is not original) the correct side pipes, and what sealed it for me, was when I wet-sanded the orange paint off the tank, the correct blue with white racing stripes and gold pinstripe paint-job was revealed. When I did my repaint I was able to match perfectly the stripe width and placement as the originals were still there.

So here is my problem. This bike is a late '66 model, and there is no 'S' in the serial #. So now, everytime I bring this up, people start jumping up and down, pointing their fingers at me, accusing me of trying to build a fake. "Burn him, He's a witch!!" It's getting old.

So I am pleading: is there anyone out there who can tell me at what serial number the 'S' was dropped?

Or does anyone know of a numbers registry where we can compare these #'s (I've called Triumph--no records from back then)

I really appreciate the help, and please don't say I'm trying to make a fake. I almost ruined a rare bike by trying to turn it 'back' into something it never was, and was advised by Cliff Majhor that it was indeed authentic. Before I talked to him I never even knew they existed.

As a side note: The seat cover was gone, so I tried to buy one of the grey-topped seats like they show in the catalog, but Cliff wouldn't sell it to me. He said that most of the guys that bought the SC in '66 had the option to get the later '67 style seat, and did so. So he insisted that I get that style of seat, to be more original. Go figure. (To anyone who had the opportunity to deal with him, you know he wasn't shy about his opinion--or telling you you were an idiot if you tried to tell him his business.)

The bike is a beauty, and all I want is for it to take it's rightful place in history, and to shut-up the naysayers.

I thank you all in advance for your help. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Without Doug the old tradition of an intro is fading away. Manors or formality does not trump the purpose of this site, the need for help and info. Yes, Billy should have read the rules in the stickies.
Now getting back to the subject, I also heard the "S" was dropped in mid 66 and the C model was all that was available and later the TT introduced.
Wes White does have some info of the SC numbers, perhaps you can contact through his web site at Four Aces.
http://www.fouracescycle.com/bikes.html

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The new Triumph company doesn't have the old records, but someone does. It's a museum in England, and they will look them up for you, for a small price. Takes a while, too. I just can't remember the name at the moment. Wes will know, probably. They even told me when my '56 TR6 was delivered (Sept '56,) and to where (Italy.)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
From what I heard about the SC's they were not made in England, they were done at Johnson Motors in Pasadena CA. or at TriCor in Baltimore, that is why there is very little record keeping on the SC's. they are a variant of the type C's the "S" was added. I heard most were done at Johnson motors and because of that many people thought it meant Southern California. This is also why there are more SC "survivors" today than were ever produced.
There is still arguments about it's meaning of SC but Sport's Competition seams to be the winner.
I would think it should show up on the Triumph factory manifest as a Type C bike delivered to Johnson Motors or Tricor.
productions numbers that I found were 60 in 1964, 346 in 1965, and 260 in 1966.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 1966 Western TR6C would be without lights and two high pipes on the left.

You can send an email to the vintage motorcycle club to get confirmation of the year and serial number and location yourTriumph was shipped. [email protected]

I have done this several times.

"If you would like the full factory record typed on headed paper the cost would be £12 (£6 if a member), or for a handwritten copy it would be £18 (£12 if a member).
You can pay by card, cheque, or postal order. Payment by debit or credit card is probably the easiest method. Allen House, Wetmore Road, Burton-on-Trent, DE14 1TR. Alternatively you can phone 01283 495102 or 01283 540557 or fax 01283 510547."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Billy - I have a '64SC, '65SC, and a '66C. I've also done a lot of reasearch on the vin numbers, East Coast/West Coast variations etc. I usually call the VMCC direct, they are very helpfull. If you think I can help send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but you don't have a TR6SC Trophy Special, otherwise it would be stamped into the frame and motor. Johnson Motors lobbied the factory to build them- they were factory built desert sleds. Here's some factory literature that shows the Trophy Special, as well as the Highway Trophy- which people like to call the "Street Racer". Here's a link to a TR6SC thread I started when I found my 1965 TR6SC. Wes at 4 Aces has it now so if you need to see the vin, I'm sure he could help. Just like everyone else said, first do an intro, then search.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48695&highlight=tr6sc

Here's some more on the TR6SC bikes on the Show & Go blog.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
In his book "Triumph in America" author Lindsay Brooke states in one of the only mentions I can find anywhere about the 'SC', that "sometime in '66 Triumph dropped the 'S' from the serial #".
Page 73 and 74 of Lindsay Brooke's Triumph in America book covers the details of the TR6SC and the TT Special models. The Triumph Racing Motorcycles in America by the same author also cover them. Good books for sure.

Just one question though- if they 'dropped the S' from the TR6SC for 1966 as you claim (I haven't been able to find that in the book you reference), how would you be able to tell them apart from all the TR6C street-legal bikes that were made?

Meriden didn't keep the best records, but I can't see them building two different models with the same exact model prefix. Sorry, I guess I'm a naysayer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Billy is correct. In '66 there were SC and C models that were exactly the same bike on the west coast...
I appreciate the support. You're the first person to allow the possibility that I'm not trying to perpetrate a fraud!

To address the Naysayer, my understanding of the situation, as explained to me by Cliff Majhor from Cycle Hub--who had extensive first hand dealings with Triumph during the time period in question--was that since the 'SC' was being discontinued, when the demand for the 'Western US' version exceeded the supply of frames and engines stamped with an 'S', they filled out the remaining orders with generically marked TR6C engines and frames. I'm not making any claims of validity to this explanation, I'm just repeating information supplied to me by what I feel is a reliable source.

I realize this is just hearsay at this point, but I hope to get more info from the VIN search.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As a related side note...I was told that often replacemnet cases were sent to dealerships (triumph) with no number and the dealer was responsible to make sure they were stamped. Is this true? as I have a set of unstamped 650 unit cases.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
As a related side note...I was told that often replacement cases were sent to dealerships (triumph) with no number and the dealer was responsible to make sure they were stamped. Is this true? as I have a set of unstamped 650 unit cases.
I also have a customer that has a 2nd owner running licensed 70 Bonneville that has a raised number pad with the little Triumph stamps on it and no serial numbers in it. it was a replacement case that never got re-stamped by the dealership, many dealerships had number stamp sets and did this on both Harley's and Triumph's.
Both the Highway patrol and DMV are aware of this practice, so the old saying of it's fake if it wasn't stamped at the factory is false.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts