Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we allowed to talk about road trips here?

anybody have a problem with it or is it gonna be just tech?

·
Registered
257 Posts
tomslik said:
we allowed to talk about road trips here?

anybody have a problem with it or is it gonna be just tech?
I think road trips should be cool, nothin like being in the wind for extended periods, who else has thoughts on this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
oldspeed said:
I think road trips should be cool, nothin like being in the wind for extended periods, who else has thoughts on this.
Upstate NY is awesome,

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
scott said:
Upstate NY is awesome,
I know. I grew up there. Say NY, and people automatically think the city. Although we're now in Seattle, we kept our vacation place on one of the lakes in the Adirondacks. Love it too much to let it go.

Back on subject. Road trip discussions seems cool...provided they're on something cool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tony Bones said:
I know. I grew up there. Say NY, and people automatically think the city. Although we're now in Seattle, we kept our vacation place on one of the lakes in the Adirondacks. Love it too much to let it go.

Back on subject. Road trip discussions seems cool...provided they're on something cool.
you guys gonna cut me some slack ?
i'm gonna be on a 02 geezerglide....

what i'm after is if you've know of anything that i need to see/stop at eastbound from vegas thru flagstaff and to cortez(co)...

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
My favorite road trip might take a few pages....april 1976-june1977....36,000 miles on a 750 honda....what a blast. A friend and I both bought 750's...quit our jobs and took off for parts unknown..... Took a spray gun and a DA sander in my saddlebag, worked bumping and painting cars where ever I could. The first 30 days we only did seven miles of interstate...the rest was two lane blacktop, or gravel roads. Never slept in a hotel or motel, and cooked by the side of the road...(also had a frying pan in the saddle bag) We kept it pretty lowbuck and at that time I was spending seven dollars a day for food, beer, and gas. Restuarants were a luxury, and I can't remember any that we stopped at. I had a wooden box on a luggage rack that a styrofoam cooler fit in, so we had cold beer and lunchmeat....and sometimes orange juice for breakfast. Met some lifetime friends and saw things my 84 year old dad has never seen. Enought reminiscing....I suppose I should write it all down someday....better yet....do it again!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
tomslik said:
y ou guys gonna cut me some slack ?
i'm gonna be on a 02 geezerglide....

what i'm after is if you've know of anything that i need to see/stop at eastbound from vegas thru flagstaff and to cortez(co)...
The Grand Canyon :cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Upstate NY is great for riding the four months of the year it stops snowing. Anyway touring on a bike is a great way to escape all the winter blues. My wife and I wait till the first week of March (bike week) and pack up the bike and yes trailer it to the virgina border. So far we have been lucky in leaving the trailer and car at a motel for a couple of weeks and hit the road.

Our trips start out by riding the Skyline drive and Blue ridge parkway, I don't think it is possible to tire of this ride. The only problem is after a few hundred miles you start wishing for a straight portion to relax. Of course you have to realize that we are into high speed touring on the Ducati so it is a little bit of work to make sure you don't go over the cliff at speed.

That ride put us through a place called the tail of the Dragon, 318 curves in 11 miles, if you ever have the chance to ride the dragon do it. We spend a couple of days in the Tenn. / N.C. border then head down into Georgia. Northern Georgia has some of the best riding in the world, the mountains are perfect and the roads smooth with sweepers that are triple digit range. best thing is people down south think were are nuts for being out on the road at that time of the year so there is no traffic. Cold but no one around.

Last year we ended up in New Orleans, the year before we made it to Daytona, but after the mountain ride Flordia is a little boring, alot of nice folks, but damn it's flat, and straight.

Most of the time we have lucky, had to get off the Blue Ridge once because of ice, and two years ago we rode the last 300 mile to the trailer in 35degree weather. That was a little cold. We finally are of the age where we have good riding gear, looks a little funny, but o well that is the price of old age. So if anyone in the northeast is looking to get out and ride ahead of the weather I would reccommend the spring ride. So let's hear about your favorite ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
tomslik said:
well, yeah.....

but i was hoping for the obscure stuff..
it depends on what route you are taking. If you go up the 89 out of flagstaff there are some indian ruins
Take the sunset crater exit and check that out, and then there ade two sets of Indian ruins to see. after which it will dump you out further north and back on 89.
Also when I pull through Flagstaff I eat at the Galixy diner on route 66 on the right hand side as you pull into flagstaff,which has a kind of 50s atmosphere and some good homestyle food. There is a budget motel right accross the street reasonable and you could pull your bike right up to the door.If you head up the 89 you may want to shoot off toward cortez through tuba city. The roads are lonely around there on the 89 and the gas stations will be a welcome sight. After Tuba city your on your own.
One note; The Female soldier Lori Piestewawho was killed in Iraq Who was in Kelly Lynch's company was from Tuba City so a flower or something may be in order. This is a Navajo community.
Are you going to 4 corners?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts