Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might not be exactly the place to ask , but bike guys are usualy truck guys also . . . at what point to ford trucks generaly start having problems ? I am thinking about getting a 1999 F-150 that has about 125,000 miles on it . I havent gone to see it / drive it yet , but when does ford stuff start to really have trouble and what kind of trouble ? My last truck was a 1997 F-150 and it had about 60,000 on it , trouble free . Thanks if anyone has any kind of input for me here :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
=mike= said:
I know this might not be exactly the place to ask , but bike guys are usualy truck guys also . . . at what point to ford trucks generaly start having problems ? I am thinking about getting a 1999 F-150 that has about 125,000 miles on it . I havent gone to see it / drive it yet , but when does ford stuff start to really have trouble and what kind of trouble ? My last truck was a 1997 F-150 and it had about 60,000 on it , trouble free . Thanks if anyone has any kind of input for me here :)
is it standard or auto? i know on the rangers, the clutches and cv joints go right around 100k

·
Registered
38 Posts
=mike=

cant really say when those things start having problems. random shit goes wrong with them all the time. when i was working at my engine machine shop, we had a set of 2000 ford 150 heads come in. there was no carbon on the valves or ports. but all the valves we either bent or broken. i asked the parts salesman what was up and he said the salesman at the ford dealership started it up to show a customer and the timing chains broke. you just never know when those f150s will decide to go south.

diego

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Depends how it has been used.

A good friend has one that spent its life delivering carpet in a rural, mid-west area. He got it w/ 130k on the clock and it has 170 on it now. He's done the brakes, oil and lube, and that's it. I think his case is rare though.

Pay the $40-60 it costs for a buyer's inspection from a good mechanic...money well spent.

·
Registered
675 Posts
my 98 expedition is still rolling problem free at 110K. Great now i've jinxed myself!
=mike= said:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
=mike= said:
I think some Fords start on the day you drive them home. Mine did! Wouldnt idle down when you came to a stop, but not all the time and the dealer couldnt figure it out. I then traded up to a F350 and I couldnt have been happier. That was in '98.

Today I drive a new Nissan Titan and will never ever go back to an american 1/2 ton.

-Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
=mike= said:
WTF your fuckin' rich Bro. get a Hummer with 26's and tv's and all that shit dog.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I put 260,000 miles on a 97 with a manual transmission. Here's the everything I replaced:

Plugs (2 times)
Distributor cap (2 times)
Hoses (2 times - upper/lower radiator and both heater hoses)
Tires (5 times)
Battery (2 times)
Fuel filter (4 times - mostly due to shitty gas at low cost stations)
Headlight bulbs (2 times)
Tailight bulbs (2 times) 1157
Clutch (1) - I got antsy and repalced it, when I pulled the old one it was like new (154,000 miles)
Exhaust from convertor back (1)
Oil Pump (1) (154,000 miles) reason I also replaced the clutch
Rear main seal - see above
Brakes (1 time - if I had kept it, it would have been due again)
Warrenty Repairs:
Ignition system (lock failed on steering column)
Some switch that controlled the gas flow, I never had a problem, but Ford had a class action suit due to fires.
I cannot complain about my Ford. Have a friend with a 97 and it has over 300,000 miles with only maintenance and minor repairs.
Hank

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah there is no real time to tell. My Boss had one with 40k on it and the fuckin' head was warped. It was under warrent (he was lucky) thankfully. And another guy I know has one with like 150k no problems

I suggest you ge a Jeep. My cherokee is pushing 200K and running like a MOFO.:D

L.D. said:
WTF your fuckin' rich Bro. get a Hummer with 26's and tv's and all that shit dog.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yet every chevy dealer has a repair facility :D fords, chevy, cars, bikes, they all break down. On your way home take a look at the side of the road. I see just as many chevys, japs, fords........Blah just give me a damn big wheel and a open lot and set me free :) pedal power thats where its at now dont you squares know!! I'm selling everything and buying a mountian bike...woooo!
R.F. said:
Don't the letters F-O-R-D spell it out clear enough? It means, BUY A CHEVY! I'll take all the shit the Ford guys can throw...I don't have to ask questions like this about ANY Chevy truck, period.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The manual trans sometimes gets complaints about going into first. This is usually from people who sit at a light in neutral and then try to jam it into first, if you hit second first it will slide right in. We have tried to improve that on many of these and no longer attempt repair.

The 5.4 tends to develop an oil leak on the head gasket toward the rear of the heads at the firewall, easily seen by looking under the motor if its on a lift. The brakes on the 97 seemed to alwasy be a little "grabby" on the rear if you were not used to them but not as much on the 99 and up. The threads on the 5.4 spark plug holes are limited and meck-a-nicks have to be careful not to damage them.
If a knucklehead starts wrenching the plugs down you will strip them easily and or blow the plug out later. The coil on plug design is nice, but the plug on the 5.4 is located deep in the top of the motor and detail shops always get water down in there and if not blown out after detail they sit on the used lot and they foul the coil. I have seen older heater hoses leak back on the rear passenger side drip on the coil and cause a stumble on steady accell.

anything else? basically thats a proven design with no big faults.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got a '63 F250 223ci I6 with 84K miles on it. #4 low compression cylinder and still runs strong. I have a 88 Lincoln Town (5.0L) car with 140K (I paid $600 for it 2.5 years ago) miles on it and that damn thing will not die. My wife's 99 Ford Minivan has 100K on it and is plagued with electrical problems but the engine still runs strong. Any of the Ford 300ci I6 are good purchases in my book. Those engines are bulletproof.

mitch

·
Registered
269 Posts
Scorcher said:
I think some Fords start on the day you drive them home. Mine did! Wouldnt idle down when you came to a stop, but not all the time and the dealer couldnt figure it out.

-Jason
Two instances of this.
One friend has an '04 F350 4x4, V10..it's been in the shop close to 4 month's total since new (we were just talking about it a couple days ago because it's back in). Everything from a complete front differential assembly with 3K miles on it to the drivers door not closing (the latest prob)..
I also have a close friend who bought a brand new '04 F350 4x4 power stroke diesel. On the way home from the dealer the night he signed the paper's, it left him stranded. The diesel's are "drive by wire" electronic throttle control.. well his decided not to work about 15 minutes after he left the lot..

anyway,
The stuff i've seen at the shop i work at is much of what's been written here. Like plugs snapping in the heads, or gaul because whoever installed them the last time screwed em up when putting them in. This gets costly.
I think a lot of 'luck' buying used trucks is how well they were maintained by the previous owners.
*Most* half ton trucks i've worked on havn't been as bad as 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Seems, at least around here, i see more abuse to the heavier trucks, not just in working them, but lack of care in maintaining them..

A lot of the half tons are more of basic transportation for people, but capable of hauling if needed..
i've seen many ford F150's with higher milage that still run great, but they also look like they have been very well maintained..then some that have low milage and are nothing more than money pits..

Anyway, good luck if you buy it....

I do know i've never had any real problem's with any of the chevy's i've had or the current GMC :D:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Yet every chevy dealer has a repair facility :D fords, chevy, cars, bikes, they all break down. On your way home take a look at the side of the road. I see just as many chevys, japs, fords...
Chevrolet repair facilities are for issues caused by females/foreigners driving Chevys. The rare Chevy on the side of the road is not driven/owned by an American male. Bring it on, FoMoCoFag!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm tellin ya man....Big wheels is where its at. Its the new trend, all the cool kids are riding them!:D

What the hell is FoMoCoFag?

R.F. said:
Chevrolet repair facilities are for issues caused by females/foreigners driving Chevys. The rare Chevy on the side of the road is not driven/owned by an American male. Bring it on, FoMoCoFag!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Check the front end out - Ford ball joints are crap. Also check for broken springs. It seems like Fords always have a lot of slop in the steering that isn't caused by bad parts, just the way the front end is designed. Seriously, though, the ball joints are probably bad - no big deal, just a pain in the ass.

I'm a Dodge guy, so I'm just going to stay out of the Bowtie vs. Blue Oval pissing match.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.