Jockey Journal Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Brog, you are gonna get a lot of advice here. My advice would be to take that 3 grand and buy a donor bike and start from there. I'm doing a ground up build and it is a LONG TERM build. I did it because I knew that I had like years to do this project. If you wanna get something to chop, get a donor and have it hardtailed. Build from a titled bike and you will save yourself a ton of cash. There are a lot of bikes out there. Good Luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Build from a titled bike and you will save yourself a ton of cash. There are a lot of bikes out there. Good Luck!
That's good advice. Having a bike with a title is much better than building a special construction bike (SPCN). With SPCN bikes you can't get full coverage insurance. All you can get is liability and that won't cover your bike if it's stolen, wrecked, or any other sad story.

With the title you can at least replace the bikes value.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's good advice. Having a bike with a title is much better than building a special construction bike (SPCN). With SPCN bikes you can't get full coverage insurance. All you can get is liability and that won't cover your bike if it's stolen, wrecked, or any other sad story.

With the title you can at least replace the bikes value.
My bike is a special const. title, it was that way when I bought it 23 years ago when insuring a bike wasn't a royal pain in the arse like now.

You can find full coverage all the way down to basic liability, but for full coverage/theft you're gonna pay $$$

Take the advice and get a donor that is titled as a HD or whatever make of bike you're wanting to build.

skinny

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the input dudes. My main plan I was gonna go for was to buy just a paughco wishbone frame by itself and find the rest of the parts from there. I was just wanting to see if there was anything phenomenal about this company and was just curious.

But you guys are saying to just go for an old hd frame?

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^^
If it has a title with it, unless you don't mind jumping through hoops for the DMV.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You should be able to buy a basket shovel for the $3K WITH TITLE. If it was me I'd do that and sell off what's left of the shovel motor and buy a brand new 80" evo from HD and start there. Weld on rear and you have a rigid.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
^^^
If it has a title with it, unless you don't mind jumping through hoops for the DMV.
You guys are all freaking out over nothing.
I can get a SPCN title in 15 minutes from DMV. the secret is knowing the rules.

And the guys at Top Shelf are completely legit.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Regardless of spcs debates, barry does nice work at top shelf.
Grant:
you may not realize the importance of using capital letters, here an example of why they are important....

would you like to help your uncle jack off his horse?
or...
would you like to help your Uncle Jack off his horse?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would you like to help your uncle jack off his horse?
or...
would you like to help your Uncle Jack off his horse?
Haha oh man that made my night. Let's not argue guys, appreciate the input on the titling and insurance though! Made me reconsider my build if I ever get around to it. And good to hear that Topshelf is legit also. I love the stance on the roller on the left, the bike is kinda ugly but that's what you get for buying a complete bike from a company.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you should do what you want to do. its your money. your going to build the bike. just make sure your skills match the project level you are going to attempt thats all. have fun and good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.