Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in you guys with different transmissions behind the 45 flatties
and I'm wondering what your most realistic top speeds will be?
Anybody got one they can take on the freeway? :D
Pics are cool!

sweet.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You can have a higher top speed, but it'll cost you a lot of low end torque (which makes them much less fun on the street). It'll also cost you more than a few bucks. Theyre awesome and fun, but they're inherently "slow" so you'll have to throw down some cash and make some compromises if you want it to go faster.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Those little flatheads are cute as a bugs ear, but they wern't designed to haul ass. The Factory advertised the top speed as 55 m.p.h.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
realistic 60,,though I'm sure someone will say they cruse all day long at 75 :p
mine actualy cruses 75 m/ph

but cilinders and heads are reworked ,linkert M74B ans some more nice goodies and a joe hunt magneto and a '69 ratchet top 4 speed gearbox
also different sprockets and chains ....and more

it runs like a charm and reliable
both at low cruisin speeds and at full throttle ;)

·
Administrator
7,824 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had a 42wla that could do about 100 but it had an offset crank pin added 1/8 stroke , k piston ,gas ported the tops off the cylinders to match k model , ported the cylinders . brazed the outside and bored the intake manifold out for larger linkert , sporty pb+ cams which i added the oil pump drive to i also increased the motor sprocket to next size up from stock

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Greaseball, 45 are great bikes around town, but from my experience not much on the freeway.

Patrick, thanks for posting the picture of us with our 45 at Bonneville this year, what a great experience that was. We hope to go again next year. I bought a Sport Scout Basket case and hope to go faster than my wife, so I'm shooting for 100. Hope to see you there.

Bill

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
You asked about different trannys behind a 45 for top speed. Keep in mind that the stock transmissions and all Brit options all have the same 1-1 overall final ratio. So your effective gear ratio is in the drive sprockets, not the transmission. therefore your top speed is determined by engine RPM driven through whatever ratio you choose. The extra gear in a Brit 4-speed might give you more in town gear options but once in high its all the same.
My 45 is quite comfortable at 55-60 and will run 75 in bursts. It is completely stock and far heavier than a custom build would be. It also does this at a base elevation of 7000ft. The 45 likes RPM more than Big Twins do so don't be afraid to spin it a little. I originally was runing a 33 tooth engine sprocket but my wife did not like it as when she rode it she tended to stall it on takeoff. I changed to a 31 with no loss of top speed but better take-off and acceleration. Still smooth and happy at 55-60.
Robbie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.