Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on to my next build. its a 74 shovel in a stock frame with a weld on hardtail.
i got the frame from my uncle years ago and i can't remember the specs. i got it into a roller and I'm thinking its gonna be too low. i got 3.5" to the bottom of the rails. have any of you guys run this low? hit me with any problems that you had. i only want to build this thing once.
I'm looking at running an 18 on the rear instead of the 16, and a 23 front instead of the 21. to lift it up, and hopefully give me some clearance. let me know what you think.
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
the forks are kind of short, but thats the look I'm going for. really don't want it higher in the front look. i want to keep the rails level with the ground.
Save the final fork adjustment till after you've installed the engine and trans, If the rails are level now, they won't be when you add the extra weight. The forks look a little too short to be useable in their current state.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The rigids I've run in the past have all been super low and the only problems I've run into have been dragging the pipes or pegs. The frame has never been an issue with the exception of having to dodge around speed bumps or getting hung up on a loading ramp or lift. The lowest I've run was 3" of clearance below the rail with a seat height of 19". It's lots of fun running that low but you'll have to watch your pipes and pegs because it's super dangerous and spooky when you slide out on your pipes. I did a right hand pipe slide making a turn and ended up right in front of a cop's driverside door. We both had the same expression on our faces. I went home and changed my pipes after that little encounter.

Make sure you have a lot of clearance when you lay the bike over, don't just build it for looks. You'll want some confidence when you go boring into a hard corner.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The pic makes it look a little lower in the front, but it could just be the angle. One way to tell would be to clamp a level to the rear motor mount. And, as has been said, the fork will compress some with the weight of the engine and trans in it. I think I'd at least get the drive train in it, then make it level with the length of the fork tubes. If you feel you need a little more in the rear, there are also taller 16" tires, like the Avon Safety Mileage or the Shinko Goodyear copy, in the popular 5.00x16 size.

I personally like a little more ground clearance, so I can curb jump, and don't have to worry about speed bumps, steep driveways, or sliding out on my pipes or primary while cornering. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of the "cool factor" of being low down in order to ride a little harder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I say go an inch higher with your fork length but after you get the weight of the motor and oil bag and you on it as well. As for the 23" wheel, I like them, I'm gonna run one on my next bike. It's not a donk wheel if its spoked in my opinion and anyone who has crappy opinions on what you're putting on your bike needs to slowly back away from the computer and keep they're negativety to themselves. The bike has a good stance though, buit I'd shoot for at least 4.5" of ground clearence with you on it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
My roller looks about the same as yours because I have a 4" under springer - it is gonna be waaay low... maybe 3.5" - oops! I been reading the comments and may now try to get an inch higher at the front with longer fork springs. I was more worried about cornering than loading but speed bumps - that scares me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rigids I've run in the past have all been super low and the only problems I've run into have been dragging the pipes or pegs. The frame has never been an issue with the exception of having to dodge around speed bumps or getting hung up on a loading ramp or lift. The lowest I've run was 3" of clearance below the rail with a seat height of 19". It's lots of fun running that low but you'll have to watch your pipes and pegs because it's super dangerous and spooky when you slide out on your pipes. I did a right hand pipe slide making a turn and ended up right in front of a cop's driverside door. We both had the same expression on our faces. I went home and changed my pipes after that little encounter.

Make sure you have a lot of clearance when you lay the bike over, don't just build it for looks. You'll want some confidence when you go boring into a hard corner.
funny as shit. I'm surprised you didn't get booked. I'm hearing what you say about building for function. i love how it looks at the moment, but i don't want to slide out without meaning to! 4 - 4.5 inches sounds like where i should be aiming at. thanks everyone for all of your advice. it is very welcome. I've never run this low before so its good to get all the clues before i build it and find its too low, or slide head first into a cop car:p
as for "justifying" my bike, i don't have to justify shit. I run what I like and i was just keen to hear from people who have been there, done that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.