Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some helpful pointers when it comes to shifting by hand...I see alot of these set-up and really dig them..I never really used one before so i guess i'm more less looking for some guidance from those who do. I would like to hear both sides if possible like if at one time you did but know just went back to using the foot controls and why?
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

O-yeah, please post pics of your set-ups/bikes...

Thanks,
DDR

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dat Dirty Rat said:
Looking for some helpful pointers when it comes to shifting by hand...I see alot of these set-up and really dig them..I never really used one before so i guess i'm more less looking for some guidance from those who do. I would like to hear both sides if possible like if at one time you did but know just went back to using the foot controls and why?
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

O-yeah, please post pics of your set-ups/bikes...

Thanks,
DDR
I have done both......

Its a matter of preference really, all it takes is getting used to it if ya run it like that.

The last jockey shift bike I had is the one that =mike= has now and has redone to be an awesome bike.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i prefer foot... but then again never built a jockey... with no front brake and shitty mechanical rear drum, i have plenty of thinkin to do alreadyu, LOL.. that and my bad tendency to hold clutch in

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like suicide .... just makes up hill U-turns on a narrow road interesting ... Or the "A-hole" who wants to hook your right foot on a packed run ..... The good part .. very few people ask to ride your scoot .....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
First time I ran a jockey shift was a month or so ago. I took my neighbors flathead for a ride, 47 flat head, rigid, 4 speed, no front brake with an exile sprotor set up on the rear and 16" apes. I almost never came home, I really had a good time riding it. Stopping was another story. My shovel I am building now is gonna be a jockey shift. I enjoy riding with em.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Like everyone else has said its a preference. Once you get the hang of hand shifting its reeeelly fun just gotta get to neutral a little sooner. I rode a friends dads indian chief and i was hooked. Only problem i can think of is if your next to a friend who gives you a little nudge with his left foot while yours is on that clutch pedal:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
962 Posts
For some reason I have always enjoyed foot clutch / hand shift, especially jockey shift.

Sounds stupid, but I hate that hole that gets rubbed in your shoe from the foot shifter.

If you run a foot clutch with jockey, just be ready to learn how to always think ahead in traffic situations, as going into nuetral is a MUST, it's your "safety zone". Do not think you can pull up to any situation and just step on the clutch pedal and leave your foot there with the shifter engaged. Most big twin clutches hate to be depressed, and will start to drag.

You should already be in nuetral approx. 10 feet from where you really intended to stop, and then coast roll the extra 10 feet.

It takes some skill, but after a while I can't really think of riding an american motorcycle any other way.

My $ .02

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roaddevil13- The bike was so kill from the start....

51rat- That was my thought....lol

Pure-Hell- Very good point,,,i've always liked your thinking!

Yardman & Dr Jett- Thanks for the helpful 2cents!!

Exactly the things i'm looking to hear...
Keep'em coming guys and thanks!

DDR

·
Registered
584 Posts
I built my first Harley as a Jockey Shift back in the late 60's. I had been riding a Foot Shift Britt bike for a couple years and it was quite a change for me. Crashed 4 times in three days. Three a stop lites and hit my house with it the last time. Changed it to Foot Shift fast. Iv'e ridden Jockey Shifts since then. Two draw backs. 1. Hills 2.Traffic.. I had trouble finding neutral coming up to stop lights. (not knowing any better at the time I was trieing to go from 2nd to N instead of going down to 1st and back to N ). A front brake makes life a whole lot easier. I also tried a Hand Shift/Hand Clutch set up, that someone on the board was talking about, a while ago. I didn't like having only one hand on the bars durring really slow turns and U-turns. I had the clutch cable still running to the mouse trap just to see what it worked like. It was actually a lot of fun and shifted good but I just like my hand clutch/mousetrap and foot shift.

Attachments

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
I jockey shift and don't plan on going back

I remember my first time jockeyshifting like I remember my first time getting laid...um ok, this is weird…but none the less with a similar outcome- it was great, and I WAS HOOKED! (and I bumbled less on the bike)...I think you'll either love it or hate it. if you love it, you are afflicted and you will try to jockeyshift everything in your path so be careful! try it, if you don't dig it change it back.

front brakes? I dont usually run them but there have been a few occasions that made me wish I did:eek:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Had a jockey setup on my shovel for a year and a half, it was fun, but I went back to the hand clutch/ foot shift this summer. I can slice through traffic better with this setup,but that's just me.It's whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
tom said:
I jockey shift and don't plan on going back

I remember my first time jockeyshifting like I remember my first time getting laid...um ok, this is weird…but none the less with a similar outcome- it was great, and I WAS HOOKED! (and I bumbled less on the bike)...I think you'll either love it or hate it. if you love it, you are afflicted and you will try to jockeyshift everything in your path so be careful! try it, if you don't dig it change it back.

front brakes? I dont usually run them but there have been a few occasions that made me wish I did:eek:

WOW, classy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pony- that some funny stuff and something i can see myself doing...I've hit the pavement to many times to count considering i started freestylin on a bmx, half pipes w/skateboards and crashed my buddies yz80 beening dumb...Now that i'm a lil older & heavier....I can only imagine the impact/pain being alot more than i can bare....lol

Tom- JESUS....that thing is amazing!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
tom said:
I remember my first time jockeyshifting like I remember my first time getting laid...um ok, this is weird…but none the less with a similar outcome- it was great, and I WAS HOOKED! (and I bumbled less on the bike)...
If it was like mine it was a very short ride... draw your own conclusions. :(:confused:

Tom, great looking bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Look....I see this topic come up all the time...and I just let it slide....I have owned , ridden and built bikes with both hand and foot shift.
The ONLY benefit to building a hand shift motorcycle is it makes you look tougher than the next guy or it makes your bike look "Ol Skool".
(Note* That is the only time you will ever see me use that term).
I have built far too many motorcycles for both myself and others that ,after the newness wore off ,were totaly no fuckin' fun to ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.