Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used ITS to title a bike? I was refered to them by the guy i bought my engine from, and it all seems way to easy. He said he's titled 3 bikes just of the vin on the engine. It just seems weird to send a bill of sale to someone to get a bill of sell back, with title? Any comments would be great....

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
They dont send you a title back. They send you a bill of sale back and a registration from alabama and a statement from a a legal office saying that alabama is not a title state. You take it to the dmv and hope they take it. I tried it. Didnt work but then im in california. I dunno how it would work in colorado.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yard man said:
I tried it. Didnt work but then im in california. I dunno how it would work in colorado.
Im just wondering if its worth a try, for the $75 it will cost me....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I wouldn't do it. anyone that needs a title company has something to hide. If you have a bill of sale, and a good reason for not having a title, usually there is a way to get a title in your state without having to go to some shady operation in another state. I'd call your local DMV or sheriff's office and see if they would do sheriff's title. Where they run the numbers, inspect it, etc. and issue a title. Most states have "abandoned vehicle" laws which provide a way to obtain a title on vehicles which have not been in the system, or have not been titled for awhile. Sometimes (like in Minnesota) the DMV even has a form. I'm not saying it's seamless as you need to have everything documented but why give your $$ to a company when you can do just a little homework and save?

SABTRUMP said:
Has anyone used ITS to title a bike? I was refered to them by the guy i bought my engine from, and it all seems way to easy. He said he's titled 3 bikes just of the vin on the engine. It just seems weird to send a bill of sale to someone to get a bill of sell back, with title? Any comments would be great....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creepinogie said:
I I'd call your local DMV or sheriff's office and see if they would do sheriff's title. Where they run the numbers, inspect it, etc. and issue a title. Most states have "abandoned vehicle" laws which provide a way to obtain a title on vehicles which have not been in the system, or have not been titled for awhile.
I was looking at going that avenue, with getting the bike inspected, but colorado laws are becoming pretty stringent on what is needed to get the bike safe and pass the inspection (exhuast, brake light height, ride height, horn, front/rear fender, turn signals), which is a lot of stuff im not wanting to put on the bike. Altohugh i could rip it all off after inspection, i was just wondering if its as easy as it seems, the title by mail order.....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
And what if you local DMV office suggests that it would be a lot easier to go thru a title company??? It's been a few years, but I've seen it happen.

One more thing. Even if you do a title company deal or get any out of state title, in Texas you have to go thru a "green sheet" inspection which is basically the same thing you go thru on a builders title. So it's not exactly a way around all of your state laws.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry T said:
And what if you local DMV office suggests that it would be a lot easier to go thru a title company??? It's been a few years, but I've seen it happen.

One more thing. Even if you do a title company deal or get any out of state title, in Texas you have to go thru a "green sheet" inspection which is basically the same thing you go thru on a builders title. So it's not exactly a way around all of your state laws.
Good points, i'll stop by the DMV tomorrow, and see what they've got on titling my bike

·
Registered
936 Posts
Creepinogie said:
I wouldn't do it. anyone that needs a title company has something to hide. ?
Well, that's an awfully big assumption. I guess living in a state where its just easier to use a title service than the long way, it signigent of guilt? Or perhaps you live in a state that has a tendency of enjoying to re-assign numbers when thru such a process, negating any historical relevance to the bike, and thus protecting any history to the vehicle is guilt?

So when I take my AJS to get it titled, and I may use a title service, pray tell - what is my sin, when the numbers are clean, unaltered, and purely legit?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If the numbers are clean, unaltered, and legit, then why use a title company?
If the bike has a historical history (as you say it does) then there should be some sort of paper trail to it. I also know that title companies are illegal in some states (like North Dakota). The title company dosen't care where the bike comes from but they are selling the bike back to you with a bill of sale. And giving you some papers that are quazi-legal. That's bullshit. If I had to title an AJS, I'd go to the DMV and explain tot hem how I got it and why it dosen't have a tilte. It's not easy, but I'd bet there's a process in your state. I know it's a pain in the ass but for the $75 dollars or whatever, I can do alot of paperwork. I'm going through the same process as we speak on two bikes now and shortly a 3rd. I'm not saying it's easy. I had to take photos of all sides of the bikes and explain to them how I got it and why there's no title. And the process is still not done but at least there's a process.

If your thinking of using a title company, why not just sell (with bill of sale) to your buddy in another state, have him title it (using your bill of sale - if they buy it), and sell it back to you. At least you'd be keeping the money within your circle. Maybe you don;'t have anything to hide but I bet there's been more than one bike that gone thru a title company that did.

ol_scratch said:
Well, that's an awfully big assumption. I guess living in a state where its just easier to use a title service than the long way, it signigent of guilt? Or perhaps you live in a state that has a tendency of enjoying to re-assign numbers when thru such a process, negating any historical relevance to the bike, and thus protecting any history to the vehicle is guilt?

So when I take my AJS to get it titled, and I may use a title service, pray tell - what is my sin, when the numbers are clean, unaltered, and purely legit?

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is a state by state issue. Works in some, doesn't in others.

I lived in CO for 12 years. In that time, I used the ITS service 4x's. No problems. BUT...that's been almost 5 years ago. Laws change.

The title service route was much easier and faster than jumping thru the hoops for a bonded state title. However, CO still required a VIN verification done by the CHP. Had the same cop (CHP sargent in Golden) do three of these inspections.

Back then, CO issued titles to the frame VIN #'s, not the engine VIN #'s. The registration papers issued by a title company had to match the frame VIN #'s.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It'd be interesting to hear what the DMV would say if they were asked if it'd be easier to use ITS? I know what some of them would say. Maybe I'm full of shit as I've never used them. But I also know it won't work in some states. I'd try doing it through the DMV first.

VA Rebel said:

I lived in CO for 12 years. In that time, I used the ITS service 4x's. No problems. BUT...that's been almost 5 years ago. Laws change.

The title service route was much easier and faster than jumping thru the hoops for a bonded state title. However, CO still required a VIN verification done by the CHP. Had the same cop (CHP sargent in Golden) do three of these inspections.

Back then, CO issued titles to the frame VIN #'s, not the engine VIN #'s. The registration papers issued by a title company had to match the frame VIN #'s.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Because i bought a basket case with a lost title but clean Police department checked numbers. without that title, when i take it to the chp for inspection with the original frame, original motor, trans and front end, (all from 48 or 49) they will slap a blue tag on my bike. (talked to a friend who joined the CHP after he got out of the air force last year). If the chp blue tags it it wont be (title wise anyway) a 49 H-D itll be an '06 Reconstruction or assembled from spare parts bike not sure. Itd be a hell of alot easier to get around emission standards and other bullshit if my almost 60 year old bike was titled as such. Unless hees wrong in which case ill gladly dance with the DMV / CHP. An then theres the insurance...... fuck...i was happier before i knew how hard it would be to get a replacement HARLEY title.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Creepinogie said:
If the bike has a historical history (as you say it does) then there should be some sort of paper trail to it. I also know that title companies are illegal in some states (like North Dakota). The title company dosen't care where the bike comes from but they are selling the bike back to you with a bill of sale. And giving you some papers that are quazi-legal. That's bullshit. If I had to title an AJS, I'd go to the DMV and explain tot hem how I got it and why it dosen't have a tilte. It's not easy, but I'd bet there's a process in your state. I know it's a pain in the ass but for the $75 dollars or whatever, I can do alot of paperwork. I'm going through the same process as we speak on two bikes now and shortly a 3rd. I'm not saying it's easy. I had to take photos of all sides of the bikes and explain to them how I got it and why there's no title. And the process is still not done but at least there's a process.

If your thinking of using a title company, why not just sell (with bill of sale) to your buddy in another state, have him title it (using your bill of sale - if they buy it), and sell it back to you. At least you'd be keeping the money within your circle. Maybe you don;'t have anything to hide but I bet there's been more than one bike that gone thru a title company that did.
Key fucking point being - SOME states, not all. If bloody fucking North Dakota doesn't like, thats their prerogative. IF PA does, yeah, yeah happy for me. State by state issue. An argument filled with generalizations is not an argument worthy at all.

And hooray for you, for taking the moral high ground, and going through "the process". Lo to those, that may not want to carry the cross of the DMV. Your martyrdom has been reserved in history.

Are you a lobbyist for a DMV or something?

And as far as trusting a "buddy". The number of people I trust in this world I can count on my hands. I might consider this course of action, if most of them didn't live in the same state as me, or a state that works the same system. Beyond those I would sooner deal with an IRS recognized inter-state commerce entity. Its not trust, but at least the fear of the FBI and IRS will keep a good many companies as such in line. And I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way.

·
Registered
338 Posts
VA Rebel said:

I've done the "special construction" route.... It Sucks! Lots of leg work back and forth to the tag office/DMV ('cause the people behind the counter dont know their ass from first base) and you end up spending more than $75. Not to mention the "S/C" designation that costs you a shit load in tags and insurance.
I've had a Judge "quiet the title"... It Fucking Sucks! Your case will be in court for 9 months or more, it also costs more than $75.

I've done the International Title Service route and recomend it 100%. 75$, 2- weeks and you're done.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Has any one in Texas done this, I need to start working on my. I got a bill of sale, and got the paper work for ITS. I've heard good things about ITS, but in Austin you'll get pulled over for almost anything. I want to get it titled in Texas and avoid all the bullshit.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i've gone the DMV/paperwork/legwork route with my home made frame. big PIA. took over 2 months and i was nervious the whole time that it would be denied. it didnt cost any more than a regular title. it was a LOT of phone calls(local and to the state capitol). i worked out out fine, but i was sweatin'.
i havin' a similer problem w/ my BSA. ONE stinkin' number if off on my otherwize 100% legal title. it's mine, it's clean, just a typo, so i basicly have a title to a bike that doesnt exist. i tried the way i did before and traced the error to loisiana. the DMV there said they cannot help me because their records dont go back that far. my local DMV has been cool and helpful, but says they cannot change the error until luisiana changes it first.
i've been seriously considering using a title company the last couple weeks. i'm glad this thread came up when it did.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I used ITS and had Zero problems. It was cheap (not much to lose), easy and quick. Anything you do with title or registration has the potential to be different from state to state.

Do a search for "titling" and you should find a thread I started on how to title your motorcycle using a service such as ITS. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts