Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
When I registered the 65 triumph, I had used an early Santee frame, had Santee paperwork for it, the # matching origonal frame with me and still had to register as special comstruction (metal Tag). A word of caution, The people at DMV Inspection stations are experts in Vin's. That's what they do all day long, one little slip up on your part and they Will Take your project. You will, over time be able to get most of it back, but why put your self in that position.

· Registered
566 Posts
I don't know what frame he had either, but I ran a shop in Van Nuys in the 70's and even then the DMV guys were sharp. At the first sign of anything odd they would use an acid etching kit that would show if the area in question was virgin and unaltered or if it had been ground/welded/machined or in any way altered. (make one number look like another, ect). They had a squad that came out to the shops and did spot checks also, and I was amazed at how much these guys knew. They even knew what type style matched what bike, all the number/letter combs there were for what years and modles, how deep the numbers should be, some mfg's twist a certin number slightly, and on and on. Also playing around with numbers is a Federal Rap so keep that in mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.