Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry ahead of time for the sorta'-long post.

I'm in the process of getting my Triumph titled and registered. I have a dilemma to discuss with you folks... Here's the dilemma...

I went through ITS to get the paper trail started and got back the papers I need to walk into the Nevada DMV, get registered and apply for a title. Part of the process will be that I need an inspection. Because of it's age I will not need turn signals, however I will need a bunch of other garbage I don't want on the bike. I could borrow all this temperarily from any of my buddys and walk out no problem... but here is the REAL problem... I don't have frame numbers anymore!! They will probably restamp a new, different set of numbers on the frame (from what I've been told). OR there will be a shit storm and I may not be able to get a title at all. Non-matching numbers would suck because I probably won't be able to register it as a 1960 Triumph anymore and I would carry that "special construction" title around instead. With this being said, the numbers are clean and free in the system, and I have a great professional number punch set...

Should the numbers be re-applied, get the VIN inspection and just apply for the title first (to be safe) or should I just walk in with what I got (after getting insurance and borrowing a front fender, horn, mirrors, etc.) and see what happens? What do you guys think? FEEDBACK PLEASE!!! THANKS!!

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I just sat on the phone on hold forever with NV DMV and got a little more info once I got through.I will for sure have to have a VIN inspection and it has to be done by them. I asked the lady what I would do since I only have motor numbers (I told her I thought it was registered off the motor numbers in Alabama where I have registration from :)). She said she thought they would go ahead and put new numbers on the frame and it could still be registered as a 1960 Triumph. I'm not too concerned about the resale (with matching numbers) because it's far from being a restored bike, but I know some insurance companies aren't big on the Special Build classifications, so that would be good to stear clear of. It really doesn't sound like it's going to be a big deal. I'm just going to take it down with what I've got and explain that's all I have and see where it goes. I'm going to go without all the extra "safety items" and just tell them I'm going to apply for title, not registration. A guy at work said when he went for an inspection with his Norton they didn't even notice that half the bike wasn't there. They just checked out the numbers. Anyway, I can't afford to get it taken away after all this and I can't afford a Federal rap either... especially considering I'm pending a security clearance for my job. I'm going to play it safe on this one...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.