Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When titling an old Indian chief is it from the numbers on the engine like it is with old H-D or is there a frame number?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yes, numbers are on the motor. Year is coded by the alaphabet. No numbers on the frame.
Hank

·
Registered
257 Posts
Apehanger Hank said:
Yes, numbers are on the motor. Year is coded by the alaphabet. No numbers on the frame.
Hank
Actually there are matching numbers on Indians at least Chiefs, my 48 has numbers on the case CDH xxxx then the frame is 348 xxxx where c =3 D =4 and so on. A 1947 would be CDG xxxx if possable use the frame numbers that are located on the left side of the frame in the rear on my plunger frame at the bottom of the plunger lower hoop.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks for the info Old Speed. I sure didn't know the frames had any numbers.

I owned a couple of 47 Chiefs and have had several "parts" bikes, all were titled with the motor (like HD), so I "assumed" the situation was the same. LOL!
I'll have to start looking at Indian frames a little closer. I learn something new every day!
Hank

·
Registered
98 Posts
Indian started stamping frames late 1930/ early 1931. If anyone even cares: Frame number locations '31 and up rigid frames are on a boss just below the left ear axle slot,
'40 spring frames are on the left rear shock casting above the axle slot,
'41 through '51 are on the lower left shock mounting ring,
'52 through '53 are on the front face of the right front footboard casting mount. '49-'52 VT's (=Vertical Twins), i.e Scouts, Warriors/ TT's and Arrows, have the frame serial on the front forks.'34-'42 DT's (=Dispatch Tows), i.e 3 wheel Sports Scouts have the frame # under the seat on the frame casting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts