Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished my project. 67 650 chop. I have made all changes state of IL wants to see and first phase was to meet Sec. State requirments, next have to apply for a bonded title, because no numbers anywhere and they told me those wouldn't help. As there wasn't anything to try and match them to. So I'm not sure what year it will turn into 2011 ?? So here we go!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony
The only numbers I found are DU6 5440, TR6R. And when I told them about these numbers I was told they couldn't match to anything except what the motor was on originaly as I have no numbers on the frame at all. The frame is from the sixties and have no idea who made it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in Illinois too. I have to start the same process with my Atlas soon. Keep us posted on how it progresses. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
about all I can say is.....If you ever wanted to put any numbers on your tools or stuff, I could loan you my well used number punch set, or they sell brand new number punches at Harbor Freight stores.
Speaking of numbers...those are good engine numbers, and yes originally that bike would have had the same numbers on the frame, I am really surprised that you found someone at DMV that remembers that particular bike and knows that those numbers did not come on that frame, WOW!! what are the odds of that..

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I'm in Illinois too. I have to start the same process with my Atlas soon. Keep us posted on how it progresses. Good luck.
Norton's are real easy. you can find blank Norton frame tags on Ebay, you could go on a little shopping spree at a Harbor Freight store.
As I remember the 1/8 " numbers look the best, I'm talking about on all of my tools and stuff;)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
And before I get flamed for saying all this, the law says you can't alter/modify or in any way change the Vin numbers on a vehicle.
But If I wanted to punch out a love letter to my wife or the Preamble to the Constitution on my frame that is perfectly legal to do. So I'm thinking I could also record the engine numbers somewhere on the frame too so that way I can remember which engine went in what frame.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
and I have also registered old bikes as whatever year the engine is with a replacement frame. Most states know many bikes built before 1969 did not have frame numbers at all, it is not true that all Triumphs and BSA had matching number frames, the pre unit Triumphs had the same numbers but no engine designation (T110- 6T -or T100) on the frame, and therefor they don't match the stampings on the engine, BSA is the same deal many frames were A50 stamped with same number A65 engines.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Of course if someone is running around with the original frame to that engine with a title, it'll be fun explaining how two frames have the same number.... assuming the frame you're using now isn't the original.

Knowing how many cops troll these boards, I'd certainly recommend keeping it all above board.
If you bought an illegally numbered frame from a swapmeet I believe you are considered a victim not a criminal. That should be a hint of what you say to DMV.
We all know, nobody in their right mind would ever modify or alter a vin number.
But how would you ever remember what engine came out of an un-numbered frame, Sharpie marker ink comes off with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
And before I get flamed for saying all this, the law says you can't alter/modify or in any way change the Vin numbers on a vehicle.
But If I wanted to punch out a love letter to my wife or the Preamble to the Constitution on my frame that is perfectly legal to do. So I'm thinking I could also record the engine numbers somewhere on the frame too so that way I can remember which engine went in what frame.
Hey Tony- can I borrow your number set to stamp out a love letter to that Vincent in your shop?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I will follow the rules as for now as the conversion I had with this person from the state (IL) seems to know what she is talking about. I told her the whole story about the build and she just said I needed to do the bonding title as long as I met all the criteria for a special construction bike. If it gets to comlicated then will haveto come up with a plan B.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts