Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if we covered this or not, but I thought I would try and get some feedback from the board about title services.

I have a Triumph to title that would basically be considered a "barn find". No paper trail, no registration, no title, previous owner gave me a bill of sale. I'm ready to get 'er titled. Checked out the numbers, no record or history related to my numbers. So it looks like I'm clear and ready to get this crap over with.

I know of Broadway Title and International Title Services. Has anyone used either of these? What was your experience? How does this voodoo titling process work? I realize they don't provide the actual certificate of title, but how is the provided paperwork used once I get it? Broadway says they provide a "letter of title law"... what the hell is that?

Tell me what you guys think and what you're experience has been. I'm nervous about all this stuff. Seems almost TOO easy! I'm not getting much help from the Nevada DMV either....

Thanks everyone!
Scooter

·
Registered
675 Posts
I used a service is San Diego for my bike (McKee's). They made my life easy. I paid them some money they gave me some paperwork to fill out one week later I get my plates and reg and 3 weeks later i got my title. No fuss no muss. Just make sure they have a good track record and you should be pretty happy with them. McKee's took all the stress and headache out of my DMV experiance.
scootermcrad said:
I'm not sure if we covered this or not, but I thought I would try and get some feedback from the board about title services.

I have a Triumph to title that would basically be considered a "barn find". No paper trail, no registration, no title, previous owner gave me a bill of sale. I'm ready to get 'er titled. Checked out the numbers, no record or history related to my numbers. So it looks like I'm clear and ready to get this crap over with.

I know of Broadway Title and International Title Services. Has anyone used either of these? What was your experience? How does this voodoo titling process work? I realize they don't provide the actual certificate of title, but how is the provided paperwork used once I get it? Broadway says they provide a "letter of title law"... what the hell is that?

Tell me what you guys think and what you're experience has been. I'm nervous about all this stuff. Seems almost TOO easy! I'm not getting much help from the Nevada DMV either....

Thanks everyone!
Scooter

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chicoman7 said:
I used a service is San Diego for my bike (McKee's). They made my life easy. I paid them some money they gave me some paperwork to fill out one week later I get my plates and reg and 3 weeks later i got my title. No fuss no muss. Just make sure they have a good track record and you should be pretty happy with them. McKee's took all the stress and headache out of my DMV experiance.
That sounds like heaven! Do you have their contact information? What was your titling situation? Purchased something with just a bill of sale?

·
Registered
675 Posts
They are out of San Diego your gonna want someone local. It was my own bike but I sold the title years ago (sssssssh) Like I said I had to reg it as a special construction but I got the plates and title with Zero hassle
scootermcrad said:
That sounds like heaven! Do you have their contact information? What was your titling situation? Purchased something with just a bill of sale?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chicoman7 said:
They are out of San Diego your gonna want someone local. It was my own bike but I sold the title years ago (sssssssh) Like I said I had to reg it as a special construction but I got the plates and title with Zero hassle
How was insurance and costs in comparison to if you registered/titled it as stock? Did things go up?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not any different for basic insurance. To insure it for replacement value is no gouda though! Most places will not insure Special construction bikes for replacement value.
scootermcrad said:
How was insurance and costs in comparison to if you registered/titled it as stock? Did things go up?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used Broadway for a car title before. Worked well.
Ya probably already know the drill, but you 'sell' them your car for $1. Then you specify the price that you're 'buying it back' for (on the paperwork). Since they kindasorta 'own' the car, they apply for title in their state- some state with less strict laws on replacement titles. They get it legal then sign it back over to you and send you the paperwork. Fees were a little over $100 or so for a car maybe 2 years ago.
Took my packet of paperwork from Broadway to the local notary. They wanted a rubbing of the VIN plate or a mechanic's verification of the VIN and proof of insurance. With that, they collected sales tax based on 'my purchase price from Broadway', some registration fees, sent the stuff in to PADot and gave me a temp tag. Title showed up in the mail a few weeks later.

This could be totally different for a bike, but for a car 2 years ago it was scary easy.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a title service in town, Inernational Title Service. It seems good and it's only $75! All I had to do was check with the DMV and Metro Police to make sure that it wasn't hot or currently registered. Everything comes up clean so the guy at ITS is sending me the packet wich is a BOS for his purposes and some other junk stating that it's not stolen. I'm not sure what will actually happen from there. I don't know if I'll have to go get a VIN verification or what. For those of you who had to get your VIN varrified (on your bike) were you able to take it to any shop or did they have a specific place picked out for you?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had to take mine down to the CHP office that too was painless.
scootermcrad said:
We have a title service in town, Inernational Title Service. It seems good and it's only $75! All I had to do was check with the DMV and Metro Police to make sure that it wasn't hot or currently registered. Everything comes up clean so the guy at ITS is sending me the packet wich is a BOS for his purposes and some other junk stating that it's not stolen. I'm not sure what will actually happen from there. I don't know if I'll have to go get a VIN verification or what. For those of you who had to get your VIN varrified (on your bike) were you able to take it to any shop or did they have a specific place picked out for you?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I used ITS several years back on a Yamaha 650. It was basically the same deal as yours, the bike was legit, but the paper work was long gone. ITS uses a state where titles are no longer issued on older vehicles and everything is done by bill of sale. In my case they used Maine. The bike was "sold" by me to a dealer in Maine. The dealer in turn sold the bike back to me with all the paperwork (dealer transfer) from Maine. I was living in Virginia at that time and took all the paperwork down to the local DMV. Since I am military, they didn't even blink their eyes about the Maine paperwork. I guess they assumed I had been there. LOL. Virginia issued me a title, registration and plates. Pretty easy. It was $75 for the ITS service at that time, don't know what it is now or if their are any limitations. That was the only time I ever used one of these services.
Hank

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
All those title services are at best working on the fringes of the law. I bet you you won't get away with this in the near future.
I've used Broadway on many occasions, and I suggest you get to titling lickety split cos' this loophole might not be around tomorrow.

BTW, no company will insure my '93 ASPT chop.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maurice! Almost rollin'!!! I just finished welding up my tank last night and I should be able to put new flip cap on tonight. Had to borrow a rivnut tool to put in the rivnuts for the cap... you'll see. Probably give it it's first live kick Friday afternoon. Then I just need to finish up the odds and ends and get it titled and registered.

Josh... I did talk to them in person. I talked to a guy named Joe. I suspect he is the owner. He's sending me the stuff. For about a month I was trying to get thru to them with no luck, so I called Broadway. Then I put the titling stuff aside for awhile. For shits I called yesterday and got through right away. Hopefully no problems... I agree that this type of service might not exist too much longer. Trying to get it done while I can!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I registered a custom build for 114$ bucks, nothing else, You definately going to need to have a lights inspection and highway patrol inspections.
If you have AAA they can help a lot too.
though, I'm not one to talk about using a titling service, never used one. But do they include everything in their service? or do you just get a title and your supposed to do the rest?
From the sound of it, it seem you just get a title, and you still have to register, verify VIN and such.

·
Registered
675 Posts
They did it all for me, reg, title, plates. The only thing I had to do was take it down to the cop shop for the inspection. They handled all the paperwork
Abe_Lugo said:
I registered a custom build for 114$ bucks, nothing else, You definately going to need to have a lights inspection and highway patrol inspections.
If you have AAA they can help a lot too.
though, I'm not one to talk about using a titling service, never used one. But do they include everything in their service? or do you just get a title and your supposed to do the rest?
From the sound of it, it seem you just get a title, and you still have to register, verify VIN and such.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chicoman7 said:
They did it all for me, reg, title, plates. The only thing I had to do was take it down to the cop shop for the inspection. They handled all the paperwork
Here's a good question to ask... for the inspection did you have to conform to current standards or to the standards of the year of the bike? For example, I have a 1960 Triumph and it will be registered as such, not a special build. I don't think they had turn signal on 1960 tumps. I'm sure in CA you have to have everything in place or lose a testical. I'm not sure how it works here. On our '35 coupe I didn't have to have a lot of things (like seat belts) when I had it inspected here. I'm sure I'll have to borrow a front fender, mirror, and a horn from someone, but that would SUCK if I had to put some B.S. turn signals on.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'll assume your state has the same rules before i answer. The laws are that if you are pre 1970 you dont have to have horns,turn signals, 24/7 head light etc etc .Anything after that has to be up to current laws. I had to put turn signals on my bike (the damn bastards). The thing that sucked was that they never even checked for them. They just wanted to confirm the VIn numbers and pretty much passed over the rest of the inspection.
scootermcrad said:
Here's a good question to ask... for the inspection did you have to conform to current standards or to the standards of the year of the bike? For example, I have a 1960 Triumph and it will be registered as such, not a special build. I don't think they had turn signal on 1960 tumps. I'm sure in CA you have to have everything in place or lose a testical. I'm not sure how it works here. On our '35 coupe I didn't have to have a lot of things (like seat belts) when I had it inspected here. I'm sure I'll have to borrow a front fender, mirror, and a horn from someone, but that would SUCK if I had to put some B.S. turn signals on.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I got an ASPT VIN plate for my bike from DMV. Then I made an appointment for an inspection. I loaded the bike into the back of my work van, took all my receipts and paperwork. The guy from the DMV didn't check a damn thing, no lights, no nothing and said that I'll have a title in two weeks.

That was it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.