Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm replacing some parts in the rotary top trans on my shovel. Doing countershaft, a gear, and bushings. The old countershaft has also scored the pressed-in bushings that hold the shaft in the case, so I'm going to replace them.

Can anyone tell me how they would normally remove bushings and press in new ones? Can I do this with hand tools (thinking a DIY bolt-and-sockets press, or tap tap with a hammer?? Or do I need to take it to a shop with a press?

Thanks for any advice - don't want to mess up my tranny case!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We made tools for that job it holds the case from the inside - around the bushing so pushing it out from the out side does not bend the case

seen cases broken from not doing it the right way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. Supporting the wall of case is a good idea.

Did you use heat on the case to help get the bushings in and out? Cheers

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Old alloy and heat is like a jacket in winter

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I've done bolt or all thread-and-sockets. If it fights you, warm the case to 200 f near the inserts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got one done. I guess I was overthinking it (Not the worst thing you can do... beats underthinking it :) )

I got both bushings out this morning. Didn't need heat, just wound them out with a bolt and sockets. Used a smaller socket to push on the bushing, and a bigger socket to brace against the inside of the case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I'm replacing some parts in the rotary top trans on my shovel. Doing countershaft, a gear, and bushings. The old countershaft has also scored the pressed-in bushings that hold the shaft in the case, so I'm going to replace them.

Can anyone tell me how they would normally remove bushings and press in new ones? Can I do this with hand tools (thinking a DIY bolt-and-sockets press, or tap tap with a hammer?? Or do I need to take it to a shop with a press?

Thanks for any advice - don't want to mess up my tranny case!
I used a 3/8" threaded rod, washers, and sockets to both remove them and install them. Double up on the washers. To remove, put the rod through both bushings. Pick a bushing to start on. Either one. Find a socket with a diameter that can just pass through the bushing hole from the outside and slide it onto the rod followed by a couple of thick washers and a nut. On the other side use a couple of washers and a not. Start tightening the nuts and the bushing will be pushed into the case. Reverse the tool and do the same for the other side. Installation is the same idea except you use a socket that won't pass through the hole on the outside of the case and you put washers and a nut on the inside of the case next to the bushing., so you're pulling the bushing into the case from the outside. I didn't find it very difficult, but if you want to make installation even easier put the bushings in a plastic bag as stick them in your freezer for a couple of hours first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim. I wound them out using a similar method to the one you've described above.

I wound the first new bushing in the same way (the one on the kicker side). On that side, the case is nice and flat, so it was easy to wind it in straight.

The clutch side one was more tricky. The outside of the case around the bushing hole isn't flat, so my bolt-and-sockets tool was pulling the bushing in crooked each time.

I ended up finding this video
and doing the second one this way. Heated up the cases with a torch, and then hammered the bushing in with a long socket extension and a socket.

Two good methods there for anyone looking to do this job. Thanks everyone for the tips! Looking forward to getting my tranny back in and going for a ride..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts