Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
7,407 Posts

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
I keep seeing ads for 1 1/2" belt drives, will that work?
Yep that'll work under the tin primary.

I'm using a Primo 1-1/2" belt drive setup and their pro clutch for my Panhead. I'm also using Paughco tins as well.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Alright were did you score the infamous speed-e-shift
Doc Brown left the keys in his DeLorean ....

And a tank full of plutonium

======================================================

In reality.....

When I saw Harmon's Knuck in the first Issue of EasyRider...The search was on.
Many, many years later....Bingo...!!

Works like a Swiss watch...
Kinda cool to pick my nose shifting up though the gears....Going down, Boogers get on the lever...

The lever I used is from the first year that Harley used a front brake on a production bike....1928

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
612 Posts
thanks.

I'd like to switch to a tin primary, on my 1967 FL, with keeping the compensating sprocket, and the primary chain to limit the cost of that update.
Will the tin primary inner and outer be enough "rigid" or "solid" to support the transmission, compared to the stock inner and outer?
Is there anything specific I should be aware off for that change?
What's the list of parts I should order to be ok?

Vins

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
thanks.

I'd like to switch to a tin primary, on my 1967 FL, with keeping the compensating sprocket, and the primary chain to limit the cost of that update.
Will the tin primary inner and outer be enough "rigid" or "solid" to support the transmission, compared to the stock inner and outer?
Is there anything specific I should be aware off for that change?
What's the list of parts I should order to be ok?

Vins
They do make the inner for 65-69 motors...
A Transmission Main-shaft bearing support would be a grand idea ...Also a trans mounting plate that would allow you to adjust the chain tension ....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
309 Posts
Has anybody seen a someone do a tin outer primary with no inner? I'm thinking just some brackets fabbed up. Obviously with a belt it doesn't need to be sealed. guess by this approach you could also run tin primaries on cone shovels too.

Just an idea

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I just remembered I have the wrong trans plate on my '48 wishbone frame. What do you suggest for an adjustable? Should I get a bearing support as well?

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
I just remembered I have the wrong trans plate on my '48 wishbone frame. What do you suggest for an adjustable? Should I get a bearing support as well?
You could use a stock transmission plate. What year is your trans? If it's an early one then you don't need a bearing support.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
If your trans is 64 and back....It will have a adjuster screw at the back on the right side of the tranny....It is casted in and has been threaded...
The after-market plates are much better in design (Over OEM of the day) on making both sides adjust evenly...

If your running the 65-up tranny you will need to add an adjuster to it...
Also the mainshaft will be longer, unless it has been changed.

Early main-shafts are ....11.730 long
65-69 are ....................11.985
70-85 chain are............ 12.470
84-86 belt are.............. 13.725

No support will be needed on the 64 and back trannys.

let's look at this from a point of miss-match parts from a few of the years Harley changed things around...

Say you have a trans from the mid 70's....It will have the ears on the case for bolting up to the cast alum. inner primary...No adjuster on the case as the 64 and back have going on...
Lets also say your going to use it with a 55 Pan motor...
The OEM shaft that is in the Late tranny will be about 3/4 of an inch longer then what the early (64-back) shaft will be...

If you was so incline to run the longer shaft with the tin covers (Kick Only) You would be in need of the bearing support and also a longer sprocket flywheel shaft or an offset pully to make the match....,And spacing out the primary cover ...

That sounds like alot of work to make a match happen...
If you was going to run the 70-up case...The easy way would be installing the 64-back mainshaft and an adjustable mounting plate..
You can saw off the ears on the case...or...saw up the inner cover to fit over the ears...

·
Registered
612 Posts
They do make the inner for 65-69 motors...
A Transmission Main-shaft bearing support would be a grand idea ...Also a trans mounting plate that would allow you to adjust the chain tension ....
Yes, seems to me it's the #753L inner
does it bolt to any of the outer, not much explanation on the catalog... (beside with or without the compensating sprocket)

"a trans mounting plate that would allow you to adjust the chain tension" do you mean I can't use my actual chain tensionner in the middle of the primary chain?

What is the "Transmission Main-shaft bearing support" ? Maybe it's because of my english or my poor mechanic skills but I don't see what is this part...

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Yes, seems to me it's the #753L inner
does it bolt to any of the outer, not much explanation on the catalog... (beside with or without the compensating sprocket)

Yes it will bolt to any of the outer covers...
If you was going to run the solid motor sprocket and do away with the compensator, you can run the 54 and back outer cover...

"a trans mounting plate that would allow you to adjust the chain tension" do you mean I can't use my actual chain tensionner in the middle of the primary chain?

The chain tension-er will be history when you use the tins .... It will only work on the Beefy Alum. inner....

What is the "Transmission Main-shaft bearing support" ? Maybe it's because of my english or my poor mechanic skills but I don't see what is this part...
Don't worry about your English .....I know two languish.....English and Bad English.... I'm sure we will fit you somewhere in the middle of the two....

The bearing support for the 65-67 can be forgot....Your only 1/4 more over the 64-back shaft

Aftermarket did make them at one time for the 65-67 models....
Could cut down the 70-up support and install a thinner bearing and get there...

On my 52 Pan-Shovel....
I'm running the 65-69 mainshaft in an early case (64-back)...."No support"
reason for the longer shaft is to be able to run a 150 tire...I off-set the sprockets in order to run a "Fat Albert Tire"....
Had to move the clutch basket out for clearance of the chain.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No adjuster. Also four holes for the primary. I'd hate to cut up a really nice trans case; I may want an electric on another bike. So I'll look for an older trans. Shit more money!

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
21 - 40 of 119 Posts