Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just swapped out the stock CV crab and ditched the exhaust (crappy cross over tube)on a 78 shovel. I put on a new dual exhaust and a Super E. The timing seems to be off and its heating up pretty fast as well. It has a electronic ignition (spyke) that I had to retard a bit on the old set up. anyone have some advise on the timing for the new set up? More advanced? retarded?
Also the bike used to sputter when rolling of the throttle. When I replaced the carb with the super E I thought it might make it go away. Its still doing it maybe even worse.Any thoughts on that? I'm thinking crappy connection somewhere between ign and coil.......Hmmmmmm
Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Justin, I have a 78 FXE with Super E, and Ness two into one pipe. Shovel is early 78 with pionts, but it likes a little advance. Runs smooth, no hesitation. It ran like yours till I advanced the timing. Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Ok so I just swapped out the stock CV crab and ditched the exhaust (crappy cross over tube)on a 78 shovel. I put on a new dual exhaust and a Super E. The timing seems to be off and its heating up pretty fast as well. It has a electronic ignition (spyke) that I had to retard a bit on the old set up. anyone have some advise on the timing for the new set up? More advanced? retarded?
Also the bike used to sputter when rolling of the throttle. When I replaced the carb with the super E I thought it might make it go away. Its still doing it maybe even worse.Any thoughts on that? I'm thinking crappy connection somewhere between ign and coil.......Hmmmmmm
Justin
I got a 78 FX here that does the same shit...to start with 78 was a low compression year...to many hot rod shit on them doesn't work well...whatever you do just keep playing with the timing bump it ahead a bit don't retard it to much cuz if you do it will run hotter...also try a smaller# low speed jet cut some of that idle mixture gas...you can adjust the idle mixture screw but that only controls the idle has nothing to do with the 1/8 throttle to 1/2 throttle mixture that is your low speed jet...check your plugs also the you may have to re-jet the main jet...most people think you can throw on a Super E and go that is never the case...also sounds like maybe your accelerator pump is set to tight open that set screw a 1/4 turn at a time and crack the throttle to see if it stumbles or takes off if it stumbles could be your to lean or maybe to rich watch the pipes if black smoke comes out when you crack it turn in the screw 1/4 turn in and crack the throttle again till it is perfect response...seems the E is to big for these low compression Shovels...if your running a aftermarket cam it only makes it worse...stay with the stock cam on a low compression motor....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I advanced the timing and it helped but now I'm having real trouble getting the idle right. I dial it in and if i just nudge the throttle it jumps again. I adjusted the throttle cables, lube everything. the angle down at the cable bracket is pretty sharp but does not seem to be hanging up. Hmmmm I can put it all together but damn if I can fine tune :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fredo. I have the exhaust and the carb to ditch. I might be going down to my second home this weekend (=mike=s) so I can bring it down. I'll get some pictures to ya asap. Whats your email addy?
Fredo said:
Seems like you got good advice so I wont pile on my lack of knowledge. However if you're interested in getting rid of that crappy exaust you took off let me know, Can ya send a pic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Iv'e never used a Spyke unit, does it use the stock mechanical advance unit? Or does it use a vacume switch like the newer Harleys? Either way I'd look for weak springs, broken roll pin or lack of lubrication on the mechanical units or malfunctioning vacumn sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey pony. its a sensor type . No springs or weights. But I never thought to look towards the ignition for the problem...hmmmmm. Hey Im gonna be up in Seattle to visit friends for a week on july 8th. Any good bike stuff coming up? Does the sunset tavern still have a opening season party?
PONY said:
Iv'e never used a Spyke unit, does it use the stock mechanical advance unit? Or does it use a vacume switch like the newer Harleys? Either way I'd look for weak springs, broken roll pin or lack of lubrication on the mechanical units or malfunctioning vacumn sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Got any friends in the Classic M/C ? Sunset had the opener a couple weekends ago. I went to a benifit ride in the morning and the Sunset later in the day/evening. Not as many bikes a I expected (about 40) but still a good party. The party season is so short that from June to August there's at least a half dozzen events every weekend. I live in the U-district now so I have to look at the whole club seen also so it becomes a matter of eanie-meanie-miney-moe!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know a few of the Creatins but none of the club you meantioned. I'll be without a bike anyways so if its not jumpin no biggie. Whens the big Monroe swap?
PONY said:
Got any friends in the Classic M/C ? Sunset had the opener a couple weekends ago. I went to a benifit ride in the morning and the Sunset later in the day/evening. Not as many bikes a I expected (about 40) but still a good party. The party season is so short that from June to August there's at least a half dozzen events every weekend. I live in the U-district now so I have to look at the whole club seen also so it becomes a matter of eanie-meanie-miney-moe!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Big meet in the fall and a smaller one in the fall. Cool little place based on the Ace Cafe in the 5400 block of Rosevelt in th U-district, called Cafe Racer, home to Britt bikes, scooters and classic bikes. $1.00 BPRs fron 4-8!! pm me when it closser to time. And speeking of Shovel timing.. Just rebuilt the top end on my Pan/Shovel and added an auto advance distributor that I Ebayed at the same time. It was soo low on compression that it would start sometimes when I was kicking it over looking for a comp stroke.. What a differance Now. Six kicks / one beer / six kicks / ect. I'm a little off on the timing and I ran out of energy before I ran out of PBR last nite. Gotta go Play again and get it running. See Ya!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha! Yeah my Panhead was started like this....Get all bundled up and ready to ride. Try and kick bike, take off jacket, try again, take off sweater, try again, take off long sleeve shirt...you get the idea. No matter what on my personal bike I can never bring myself to get an electric start. in the old days thats how i knew i was too drunk. if i cant kick start my bike i need to go back in the bar :)
PONY said:
Big meet in the fall and a smaller one in the fall. Cool little place based on the Ace Cafe in the 5400 block of Rosevelt in th U-district, called Cafe Racer, home to Britt bikes, scooters and classic bikes. $1.00 BPRs fron 4-8!! pm me when it closser to time. And speeking of Shovel timing.. Just rebuilt the top end on my Pan/Shovel and added an auto advance distributor that I Ebayed at the same time. It was soo low on compression that it would start sometimes when I was kicking it over looking for a comp stroke.. What a differance Now. Six kicks / one beer / six kicks / ect. I'm a little off on the timing and I ran out of energy before I ran out of PBR last nite. Gotta go Play again and get it running. See Ya!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Damm! It helps if you time it off the right cylinder.. It's been so long I forgot! I used the rear instead of the front. Timed it right and it started right up. Sounds good so it's time for the Test Ride..:)

I'll be 60 in September but still willing to kick it. I ran a shop in Van Nuys in the mid 70's and my hero was a 67 year old customer with a kick start Pan. I told myself when I grow up I want to be just like him. I'm getting there!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top