Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The double dot is the tdc. Hook up the light, and advance the timing plate, until the single dot is in the middle of the timing hole, at about 1500 to 2000 rpm. Shut off, and see how easy it starts. if it drags, retard the timing plate, until the double dot, with the engine at 15 to 2000 rpm, is on the edge of the hole. Shut off and start again, to see if it drags, or spins freely. Since you are running, this should get you back on track, without all the details about how to get it to where yours is now. Hope this helps. I would then, go out, with a new set of plugs installed, and run up to about 50 or 60 mph, pull in clutch, and kill motor, coast to a stop(in a low traffic area, hopefully). Pull your plugs, and see if they are white(very bad, and can burn a hole in a piston) tan, (perfect) or black, (this will end up fouling). And adjust carb, if it needs it, ie: jetting, to make sure you are running without doing any harm. (also, I usually put a scribe mark on the timing plate, and the cam cover, I use a "V" and match the points, just in case it was perfect to start with, so you can relocate the original spot. I make the "V"'s, and rub them with a marker or greasy finger, and wipe with a rag, and they will become black and seeable. Plus, if you ever have to replace the ignition module, it will give you a starting point. But then, I don't work on the evos much, so what could I know?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts