Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a set of forward controls for my chop right now and am attempting to do some plug welds with my tig. I'm sleeving some 1" DOM round stock with 1-1/4" DOM round stock, drilling a few 3/8" holes through the outer tube into (but not through) the inner tube.

With my old mig this process was simple, just fill the hole up in the center to the outer tube level and then make a pass around the bottom edge of the hole.

However, I'm a novice user with my tig and am having trouble piling up material like that. I've welded the inner edges just fine, but seems I need some help with the proper technique to fill up the hole.

Any tig experts want to help me out on this one?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm no expert, but I just position the filler rod right on the edge of the hole (overhanging a bit), pour some heat right at the edge of the hole, and let the filler rod melt and drop down. Then, once the hole is shallow enough for the arc to reach the bottom, I pour the heat on so that it penetrates through to the bottom of the hole. Since plug welds are usually done on pretty thick metal, there usually isn't much worry of warping the metal from all the heat.

It is easier to use the wire feed for plug welds, and I will usually use that, but I use the tig for it sometimes as well.

DrDano said:
I'm building a set of forward controls for my chop right now and am attempting to do some plug welds with my tig. I'm sleeving some 1" DOM round stock with 1-1/4" DOM round stock, drilling a few 3/8" holes through the outer tube into (but not through) the inner tube.

With my old mig this process was simple, just fill the hole up in the center to the outer tube level and then make a pass around the bottom edge of the hole.

However, I'm a novice user with my tig and am having trouble piling up material like that. I've welded the inner edges just fine, but seems I need some help with the proper technique to fill up the hole.

Any tig experts want to help me out on this one?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tha Nutz said:
I'm no expert, but I just position the filler rod right on the edge of the hole (overhanging a bit), pour some heat right at the edge of the hole, and let the filler rod melt and drop down. Then, once the hole is shallow enough for the arc to reach the bottom, I pour the heat on so that it penetrates through to the bottom of the hole. Since plug welds are usually done on pretty thick metal, there usually isn't much worry of warping the metal from all the heat.

It is easier to use the wire feed for plug welds, and I will usually use that, but I use the tig for it sometimes as well.
That is what I thought about doing, just get the hole welded on the lower edges, then go back and fill it in with thicker filler rod. I might just try that technique out. I would gladly do this with a Mig, but I sold my old one to buy my Tig last year. No worries though, just make me a better welder once I get it. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts