Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 Shovelhead.
Iam going to redo the top end.
Iam going to bump the compression up a little.
I am going to use a Andrews AB grind cam.
I have drag pipes and a SS Super B .
How much of a performance increase would i get from a Thunderjet installation. How much trouble are they to install.
Thank You

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a 72 Ironhead much the same setup as yours. S&S and drags. I bought the carb from Zippers with the Thunderjet installed. Everyone I have spoken to since then has not seen the need for the Thunderjet. Unless you are drag racing consistently, from what I have been told, there's not much use for it. If you are taking your heads over 100 ci you might consider the Super G. For anything smaller that 100 ci the Super E is more than enough.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I run a Thunderjet in a Super B on a 93 in. shovel (head work, stepped drags, high-lift, short-duration cam, 9.5:1 compression, yada, yada). I also run a Superbowl accelerator pump bowl. It uses Bendix pump parts. I swear by this combo. Easy starts, great power, no dead spots, awesome top end -- all that, and 50 mpg at highway speeds. Noticeably better performance than a stock B or a Super E, in my experience.

Installation on the carb is a little fussy. Use a milling machine. Basically, you drill, tap, and clearance for the injector, which mounts at the 9 o'clock position on the throttle body. You also drill, tap, and face the fixed air bleed hole. There you install a jet that controls air bleed and, in turn, when the Thunderjet circuit kicks in. The fuel bowl as well gets drilled, tapped, and clearanced for a fuel nipple. It'll take an hour or two to do, but the mod is well worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do you have any pics of it installed?

flattracklarry said:
I run a Thunderjet in a Super B on a 93 in. shovel (head work, stepped drags, high-lift, short-duration cam, 9.5:1 compression, yada, yada). I also run a Superbowl accelerator pump bowl. It uses Bendix pump parts. I swear by this combo. Easy starts, great power, no dead spots, awesome top end -- all that, and 50 mpg at highway speeds. Noticeably better performance than a stock B or a Super E, in my experience.

Installation on the carb is a little fussy. Use a milling machine. Basically, you drill, tap, and clearance for the injector, which mounts at the 9 o'clock position on the throttle body. You also drill, tap, and face the fixed air bleed hole. There you install a jet that controls air bleed and, in turn, when the Thunderjet circuit kicks in. The fuel bowl as well gets drilled, tapped, and clearanced for a fuel nipple. It'll take an hour or two to do, but the mod is well worth it. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts