Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have recommendations on sealants. stuff ya like or dont like. ive always heard go easy on the sealant so you dont get a cloged up oil system. i kinda like loctite ultra black.

·
Registered
936 Posts
There is a rather recent issue of Classic Bike or Motorcycle Classics that delved into this matter rather deeply. Explored sealants to the extent, some I didn't even know existed. Two of them that seemed to consistently receive praise was Permatex RTV (the old stand-by), and YamaBond. There were some other excellent examples, but were harder to find.

If I can remember which month I'll let you know. If I can find it at home, I scan a copy of the article.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'd like to see this article as well. Keep us posted! A scan would be awesome!
ol_scratch said:
There is a rather recent issue of Classic Bike or Motorcycle Classics that delved into this matter rather deeply. Explored sealants to the extent, some I didn't even know existed. Two of them that seemed to consistently receive praise was Permatex RTV (the old stand-by), and YamaBond. There were some other excellent examples, but were harder to find.

If I can remember which month I'll let you know. If I can find it at home, I scan a copy of the article.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've tried probably 20 or 30 sealers over the last ten years. I think I have finally settled on what works for me.

Loctite 518 - anaerobic (no potential for clogging oil passages) flange sealer that has major gap sealing capability. I use this the most. Primary covers, kicker covers, etc. If the sealing surfaces are nice, you don't even need to use a gasket. Easy enough to remove on disassembly

Loctite pipe sealer (don't know the number) - started using it instead of teflon tape. Is ready to take pressure immediately, requiring no curing time. Less likely to get in oil passages on disassembly than teflon tape.

Copper coat - a number of companies make copper-based gasket tack. It's usually an aerosol. If the application uses a gasket, and you don't want to eliminate the gasket or the assembly is frequently serviced, use this. Holds gasket in place, enhances sealing capability of paper gaskets, stays with the gasket, not the flange, on disassembly.

Threebond 1104 (or Yamabond) - this is the heavy artillery for applications that you just can't get to seal by any other means. An UNHOLY BITCH to remove later, particularly when used in conjunction with a gasket. Generally known to be the "standard" in case-half sealing.

Always make sure sealing surfaces are flat. If surfaces are marred and nicked, you may have to use more sealer, or one towards the "heavy" end. Clean the surfaces spotless with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol first. This goes a long way towards no leaks.

jason

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree w/ Jason on the 1104. I use it for crankcases joint faces (no gasket) but no where else as the shit is such a cocksucker to remove.

When I have to use it, been having good luck with the ultra gray Permatex. Matches case covers well. Use no more than a LIGHT smear on gaskets.

Haven't used the Locktite 518. Sounds like the ticket.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was gonna give the Loctite line a try when I rebuild the one BSA. Haven't known anybody personally that had used it, so I was hoping for the best.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Permatex Aviation grade was a tip I got from and old VW guy. I used it on my VW motor, but I have yet to fire it with a report. You can get it at the local autoparts store too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
This is a helpful post that should probably get stuck in the tech archive for safekeeping.

JasonMcElroy said:
I've tried probably 20 or 30 sealers over the last ten years. I think I have finally settled on what works for me.

Loctite 518 - anaerobic (no potential for clogging oil passages) flange sealer that has major gap sealing capability. I use this the most. Primary covers, kicker covers, etc. If the sealing surfaces are nice, you don't even need to use a gasket. Easy enough to remove on disassembly

Loctite pipe sealer (don't know the number) - started using it instead of teflon tape. Is ready to take pressure immediately, requiring no curing time. Less likely to get in oil passages on disassembly than teflon tape.

Copper coat - a number of companies make copper-based gasket tack. It's usually an aerosol. If the application uses a gasket, and you don't want to eliminate the gasket or the assembly is frequently serviced, use this. Holds gasket in place, enhances sealing capability of paper gaskets, stays with the gasket, not the flange, on disassembly.

Threebond 1104 (or Yamabond) - this is the heavy artillery for applications that you just can't get to seal by any other means. An UNHOLY BITCH to remove later, particularly when used in conjunction with a gasket. Generally known to be the "standard" in case-half sealing.

Always make sure sealing surfaces are flat. If surfaces are marred and nicked, you may have to use more sealer, or one towards the "heavy" end. Clean the surfaces spotless with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol first. This goes a long way towards no leaks.

jason

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hylomar. Developed 20 years ago by Rolls Royce and used on their aero engines. BMW and Jag has been using it for years and now Permatex handles it for us in the states. Also have used Yamabond and still use Form-A-Gasket #2 on the old mills.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The best stuff I have personally used is suzukibond,good shit!

·
Registered
68 Posts
i like gm sealant---only thing i could get to seal my ironhead primary 100%.
it's available at any gm dealer parts dept. (also a mother to get off)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts