Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm new here, currently building my 79 FXEF-80.

I've been given a 45 springer by my dad, it was being used on a Triumph he picked up recently. He's not keen to use it on his build but I would like to run it on mine.

I've heard people say that if you are running the swingarm you would ideally need a BT springer to keep the bike level. I will be running 21 up front and 16 in the rear with an early round swingarm and dumped shocks to try and level it out.

Is this a bad idea? I've seen the old photos of Scott Halseths shovel which he says is running a 45 and it looks good IMO. Are there any other builds out there you know of running a similar setup?

Cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you're willing to go kickstart only you can get pretty low in the rear with a shovel and still run springs/shocks. Just don't figure on stock shock length and a tall rear tire. Run a short, fat rear tire, kick only, and put the rear right down close to the tire. I think it would look awesome with that frontend:)

·
Registered
800 Posts
a 45 springer, and a BT springer, are the same length, different rockers. Its about 2 5/8 inches shorter than a early Wide glide or early standard narrow glide. Chiefbuilder is right, don't go tall in the back, 1" or 2" shorter shock for keeping the stance right, and or a lower tire, and it will be fine

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The issue with dropping the rear has always been the rear chain eating up the primary. With disk brakes, you have a lot of rear sprocket options but remember, if you drop the tooth count on the wheel (for clearance) and you don't make up for it on the tranny sprocket, you'll loose some of the "umph" off of the line.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What tire/wheel combo, brakes, sheetmetal are thinking about:)!!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks the advice dudes. I dig those walt builds.

Haha trust me I would love nothing more then to take a grinder to the frame but with the laws here in Australia regarding frame modification it's just not worth the hassle. This way I can always return to stock too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chief, I'm going to run 21 up front with a speedmaster most likely. 16 Shinko 270 in the back. Not sure on the tins yet, fender has to be frame mounted as I will be running a 2 up seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts