Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
JP How many octane ratings of gas do you have available to buy in the UK. What I'm getting at is using the highest octane maybe hurting your preformance and adding heat.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
JP How many octane ratings of gas do you have available to buy in the UK. What I'm getting at is using the highest octane maybe hurting your preformance and adding heat.
Hi Joe, I use 99.
We have 95 as well, but from this month the 95 E5 is being replaced with E10 - which apparently you guys have had that in the US since the 90s but we started using it here and been loads of talks that due to the ethanol content it can, overtime, damage hoses etc..

Still haven't received the other plugs in the post... but they told me they could only send 2 RN11 and 1 RN10, was the last they had in stock and its not sold anymore. I'm thinking putting a RN10 on the rear and a RN11 on the front? To see how it goes, till I managed to get a second RN10. (or crossreference and get 2 of the same)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Didnt wanto to leave this forgotten.
I haven't had the time to go take some temp readings, but last weekend I done almost 400 miles to a chopper show, and ran her with the RN11s..... no problems at all, she ran real good, pipes didnt look as hot, but that can be just a placebo effect in my OCD mind.
I had 50 miles runs of a constant 65/70 mph and it all seemed good - well, she never run badly, but at least the RN11s arent playing with the way the bike runs.

One thing strange that happend on this trip is, I got home, stopped with the bike running and she died. went to check the lights.... dim. I had ridden the last 100 miles with the headlight on.
I think I know what the problem is, I had this before. An earth wire in the headlight casing had come lose, meaning when the lights were on, the bike wasnt charging. so it might be something like that, was fine the rest of the weekend when I rode there with no headlight on.
But... a strange thing is, this happened a few weeks back, and when I put the voltmeter on the battery with the bike off.. 12.4V, with the bike running I cant get a reading, it jumps all over the place, I cant even make out the numbers.....I'm thinking it can be 1 of 3 things?:
1. Bad earth connection
2. bad battery
3. bad rectifier (although its only 5 years old, last one blew up putting out 18V at full wack and cooking my battery)

·
4,048 Posts
I'm a big fan of fixing one thing at a time, personally.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm a big fan of fixing one thing at a time, personally.
Me too.
but now I have to sort the battery issue that just happened before I look more into the temp/plugs as can't risk going out and be left stranded somewhere.

I'll be starting with a spare battery to see if I still get fluctuation on readings.
if I get the same, I can conclude is not a bad battery
then check and clean ground points, if that doesnt sort it, check rectifier

But I'm almost sure its something on the lights circuit, because I rode around with no lights on when I was checking the engine temps - no problem.
one day I rode at night for about 30 miles, next day battery was only 9V
rode to the show this weekend 170 miles, no lights on... no problem
rode back home with light on because I forgot to switch it off after going through a tunnel...and battery back down to 9V

Once I have that sorted and confident its back to normal charging I'll go back out to get engine temperature readings.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, had some time to look at charging today.

Put a spare battery on, started no problems, charging..but.... lights off, I was only getting voltage going up to 12.9V, didnt rev all the way, but could see it going up, although would have thought Id get 14.4 without having to get the engine screaming. With the lights on voltage dropped to 11.5 on idle...about 12 with revs up..

then connected the old battery with 9V with a bridge to the new one so I could get the bike started, now the voltage wasn't all over the place, I was getting about 11 something on idle and increasing with revs, but not that much. as soon as I turned the lights on the voltage dropped and bike died. started again and keeping the revs up I could have lights on and take a reading but didn't seem to increase that much with the revs.

Have cleaned the ground points but no time to test again. Have left the battery on the trickle charger and will try again tomorrow to see voltage.

Could it be a bad regulator? half broken? voltage increases...but not much. I'd have thought a regulator is good or broken, if its bad it simply doesnt charge or goes over 14.4v, can they charge just a little bit..?

Need more investigation before I go out take more engine temperature readings...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Because I like to keep things updated...
Seems like cleaning grounds has sorted out the problems. Tried it out today, no lights on I get a steady 12.2V on idle, 13.2V with revs up, lights on I get 11.8 on idle and 12.9with revs up.

Confident to now take her back out for a plug reading and engine temp.
Some rain forecast for tomorrow, so hopefully will be able to dodge that. Have a few tests to put my mind at ease that the blue pipes are from back when I was running the SU carb and I think was running lean. I definitely remember a ride from Belgium where she was coughing back due to an intake leak ' yeh d!ckhead here didnt have a carb support bracket when that massive thing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts