Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... maybe I dont know any better (most probably, but I'm willing to learn :) ) but gosh darn-it, at 500$ it seems like a good start to a nice lil' bike?

Here is a link to the Buy-it-Now auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/xs65...35585QQitemZ4549555792QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

It includes the hardtailin', a tank, a round battery box and a trailer fender (not too sure about that one but it could be tweaked with a welded rod on the centerline?)

I have a line on a very good '77 XS650 for 1000$CDN.
I've already decided it was the way to go for me, for cost (insurance, etc).
I know of NOBODY around these parts that could hardtail an XS.

I know some of you mofo's dealt with that shop. What can you tell me?

whizzerick

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thats the place I was going to get my hard tail section from. I didn't see that they had a full frame. That may be the way to go if the frame is beat up. They have hard tail sections for $230.00 They say they will hardtail your frame that you send to them for $300.00 on the website. So I guess $500 for the full on frame and extras is not bad.

http://www.bwchoppers.com/usa1.html

I did call them up a couple of weeks ago to ask if they had hardtail sections in stock. He said no and they are made to order.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmmm. Pay now for work that will be done over a year from now? That idea wouldn't thrill me much.

Now I've never dealt with this guy. I was considering it, but the XS650-Garage board is littered with horror stories that finally convinced me that I'd be better off trying it myself.

Here's one example...
http://xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=Frames&action=display&thread=1098207952

"IronRebel and anyone else thinking of using Black Widow Choppers. Earlier this year I had him (Spyder) hardtail my frame. This is not a business, but a one man hack shop in a one car garage. He cant weld, bend tubing, or even read a tape measure. I got the frame home and the welding is horrible, tubing kinked and couldn't even fit my wheel between the axle plates. Good news is I got my money back. Bad news is my frame is so hacked up I had to buy a new titled frame. A member on the Chopper Underground forum recently had a similiar experience, so I felt I finally had to speak up. Sorry I didn't speak up earlier."

And another from someone else...
http://xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=Frames&action=display&thread=1119934417
"I would not recommend this guy, try and find a two year old on crack, he'll do a better job and have it finished sooner. And since two year old's on crack can't talk much, he won't lie to you. "

Again, these are someone elses experiences, not mine. But dig around a little bit on some of the message boards before sending a frame or any $. There seems to be LOTS of bad reviews floating around out there.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian, that's not a full frame, it's YOUR frame and their hardtail.

Yikes... I dont like what I'm reading....
There MUST be a Jockey Journal Approved™ outfit that does XS hardtail?

I just may end up fabricating it myself, tack it and have it TIGged by a pro.

·
Registered
219 Posts
DAMN IT! I was really hoping that this would be the ticket.

He is right here in WI so maybe If I did get ripped off if I had ordered from him I could drive up there and beat the shit out of him and get my money back. ;)

I was just going to get the tail section so I didn't have to bend the tubing.

There has to be someone doing quality work for XS650s'.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not true. Hatch will hook you up. Look at THOM's intro post (just below this one). That is my old XS and Hatch cut it down for me. Seriously, pm him.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I appreciate the thoughts on my work....but, I'm not doing any customer work till winter hits. I have a pile of triumph stuff that needs attention, and that will be my focus for a few months.

I can suggest this though....anything can be built at home, with a minimum of tools. Tubing can be bent without a tubing bender, and if you don't have a welder, I'm sure you have a friend that does.

I'm not doing anything special around here....just trying to build some cool stuff....and make a few bucks doing it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
hatch said:
I can suggest this though....anything can be built at home, with a minimum of tools. Tubing can be bent without a tubing bender, and if you don't have a welder, I'm sure you have a friend that does.
Amen Hatch.

I know it seems daunting, challenging, and potentially expensive but give it a shot. The amount of DOM tubing and the little bit of plate you need for a hardtail is not very expensive. Try one, fuck it up if you have to, but it'll be a good learning process.

Read up on it, bend and cut everything and when you feel you've got it right, take it to a pro to get TIG welded.

If you want to buy some cheap tools (HF bender, HF welder, HF cut off saw, cutters or grinders) it's a good excuse to do it. And not only are the tools an investment but it's not like most of the guys on this board won't be using them to build another bike someday soon. I know Jason's gonna shit when he sees me recommend HF but they're great tools for beginners and hobbyists. I use them a lot. And possibly a lot harder than they are meant to be used. LOL

At the end of the day, even if it's not perfect, Irish Rich-style frame work, you'll have the pride in saying you've done it yourself and you'll know it was done right.

As I've said before, I'm no pro builder or bad ass customizer but I gotta tell ya...it's a great feeling for someone to ask about something you drive or ride and get to explain to them how it was done because you did it and you know exactly how it went.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think some people have welded modified Triumph hardtails on XS650's.

Personally, I'd go for a Triumph. It wouldn't cost you much more and would have a higher resale value.

Did you know that hardtailing a bike that wasn't a hardtail originally is illegal in the "People's Republic of Quebec". I don't know if it's enforced though.

If you are looking for a great welder I can hook you up locally.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mojo_Al said:
Did you know that hardtailing a bike that wasn't a hardtail originally is illegal in the "People's Republic of Quebec". I don't know if it's enforced though.
Dude, I didnt even think about that??? I thought I'd butcher a bike that was ALREADY registered and didnt have to go thru S.A.A.Q.? I wonder if they'd notice? Hummmm...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey whizz, definately steer clear of the BW stuff...It gets pretty ugly looking when ya actually see some of the stuff that comes outta his shop.. Now he may be the nicest guy in the world, but I myself wouldnt put my ass on something he welded up. Same goes for his "oil bags" as well, welds are sloppy, nothing is square...Just shoddy work overall..good ideas, just bad execution. Could be great stuff if he put a little more effort into it. Check over on Chopper Underground and on the Horton Customs board, got some real cool people over there doing some nice work. There are quite a few of them over there that can help you out w/ anything jap bike related from hardtailing it yourself to sending it one of them to be done, to everything and anything else. Go on over and introduce yourself!

Cabbie

·
Registered
57 Posts
whizzerick said:
I'll check it out, thanks.
the chopperundergrouind board is a good resource. as far as buying a hardtail the ones list above somewhere by mechanix1 or whatever are good quality units but a little pricey for what they are. they are about 10 millinion times better than BWC. as said shooody welds that i wouldn't trust to roll a bike around much less ride under any conditions. subpar work and he will keep your shit forever and 3 days. the only resaon i'n not building the hardtail for mine is i'm trading out parts for the labor and am basiclly paying for the steel. with that said the guy doing mine is in south carolina and i think charges around 225 or so to do one welded up ready to go. stay away from bwc just to many horror stories there and to many of his jobs having to be redone by guys that should have done the work the first time. i've gotta agree with the wealth of info available on the net at least give it a shot yourself if you fuck one up and have to build another you'll still come out cheaper...ken....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts