Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to find some clean cases and build another pan I found myself going crazy over those darn belly numbers. For as specific as the Moco was in using straight back nines and all the rest in the pan era Vins it seems that when it came to belly numbers they may as well have grabbed an ice pick and carved them by hand. I've found what I thought were clean cases with all sorts of fonts and different fonts/numbers used. I found cases with only three numbers 150- and have found cases where they were placed in entirely different areas of the bottom end. My point I guess here is that for as specific as they were with Vin numbers they didn't seem to care what the guy on the assembly line used when it came to the belly. At this point I found myself scratching my head and wondering just how important they really were??? Im not building a show bike or anything historically correct so should I really care? I passed on a beautiful set of 50 cases because the belly numbers appeared to be polished out and someone else grabbed them right up before I could blink.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Belly numbers are only good for the owner, as no one will see them until you sell it. Bellys only indicate the assembly production line bore. Thats it. It only says these were married at the plant. If they are the same, you know the case halfs were assembled together at the factory, if not, when you rebuild the motor, you need to keep this in mind when replacing crank bearings & races.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belly numbers are only good for the owner, as no one will see them until you sell it. Bellys only indicate the assembly production line bore. Thats it. It only says these were married at the plant. If they are the same, you know the case halfs were assembled together at the factory, if not, when you rebuild the motor, you need to keep this in mind when replacing crank bearings & races.
Totally agree with you slim but many people are of the opinion that its another way to identify bad vins too. I'm sure there are times when they help but ive become so paranoid about bad bins that ive probably passed on 2 good sets of pan cases because of the belly numbers being partially gone or in one case not there at all (apparently polished out).

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The belly numbers need to be with in a year of the vin block, 150-000 49FL000 50FL000 51FL000 ya git it.......

....Roach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts