Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting high and low for vintage half helmets. Primarily on Ebay. Preferably the metal flake ones. Sure there is the plain jane all one color helmets. Then there is the american flag and rebel flag ones. And I have steadly watching the prices climb up on these things. Some of them go for big bucks. I have seen some of the larger size flaked captian america ones go for over $150. To me thats nuts. Generally these brain catchers need some repair of somesort. Sometimes you can find the deals but not me. I have yet to find one that looks like it worth the money. So I keep watching them with hope.

ANYWAY... I was watching this one because I thought the design was cool and have never seen one like it. Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7990623035&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Now do you see what I mean? Thats just silly for a helmet. :confused:

BTW. If the auction link is bad ju-ju I will remove it. But figured it was ok because the auction is over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
BrianPettit said:
I have been hunting high and low for vintage half helmets. Primarily on Ebay. Preferably the metal flake ones. Sure there is the plain jane all one color helmets. Then there is the american flag and rebel flag ones. And I have steadly watching the prices climb up on these things. Some of them go for big bucks. I have seen some of the larger size flaked captian america ones go for over $150. To me thats nuts. Generally these brain catchers need some repair of somesort. Sometimes you can find the deals but not me. I have yet to find one that looks like it worth the money. So I keep watching them with hope.

ANYWAY... I was watching this one because I thought the design was cool and have never seen one like it. Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7990623035&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Now do you see what I mean? Thats just silly for a helmet. :confused:

BTW. If the auction link is bad ju-ju I will remove it. But figured it was ok because the auction is over.
I saw a guy at a local antique market a few monthes ago that was selling three of them as a group, and I think he only wanted 50 bucks. I was tempted, but on the prowl for something completly different, and didn't want to get monetarily distracted. Now I wish I would have.

I got a plain white one at Hershey swap last year. Old Bell dragster helmet for 5 bucks. I was thinking about painting it Huge metal flake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Does anyone make a modern helmet with that same shape? Today's helmets are sooo much lighter, but I hate the funky shapes I find around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
If I go back up to the antique market and the dude still has those three helmets. I'll trade one for a Lincoln, hows that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
james said:
Does anyone make a modern helmet with that same shape? Today's helmets are sooo much lighter, but I hate the funky shapes I find around here.
Davida Jet. Check out their site. They have all kinds of styles (and if I'm right they may do custom paint to a certain extent). They are a little pricey. But I just bought a half dome off them, and they are worth it. And definitely not in the 500 buck range.

www.davida.co.uk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
I was at a small boutique bike shop and the Davida's were in the $240-$260 range.

$400+ is STUPID. Anything over $100 is STUPID for that matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Tony Bones said:
i just one a red flake one on ebay a half an hour ago for 12.50 + 8.50 priority shipping. it within the state so i should have it wednesday or so maybe tommorrow. Buco's always go way high but not usually that high. in fact i watched that same one sell a few weeks ago for like 150 or so. i missed an amazing candy avacado and white lace painted helmet with white trim and liner(bitchin' ain't the word) a month or so ago because my computer froze up in the middle of me uping my bid. outbid by 2 bucks in the last 2 minutes. the price 71 bucks. there are plenty cheap you have to search several ways. metalflake helmet, metal flake helmet, glitter helmet, sparkle helmet, and yes even just vintage helmet(where a few good deals can usually be had). now you have the info. larges are of course harder to find...ken....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
luckystiff said:
ithere are plenty cheap you have to search several ways. metalflake helmet, metal flake helmet, glitter helmet, sparkle helmet, and yes even just vintage helmet(where a few good deals can usually be had). now you have the info. larges are of course harder to find...ken....
Jeez man! Don't tell everyone my search secret!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
todd said:
i picked one of these up from....
http://stores.ebay.com/JPhelmet-Express

its not 3/4 but its like a davida and you can always get it hooked with a nice flake job later and the lining isnt all shitty and powdery. and you can zoom around looking like speed racer.
How long did it take you to get it? I have looked at those in the past and kinda leary of ordering from Hong Kong. 1. because of shipping and 2. wondering on the quality.
 

·
mucho-rake
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
BrianPettit said:
How long did it take you to get it? I have looked at those in the past and kinda leary of ordering from Hong Kong. 1. because of shipping and 2. wondering on the quality.
i was on the road when i ordered it. but i think it took no longer than 2 weeks to arrive at my house, probably less. ive ordered some replacement visors as the one that came with mine was a bit too dark to use at night. i couldnt see the gut wrenching potholes until i felt my springer front end try to enter my chest cavity. OOOF!
those should be arriving any day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
BrianPettit said:
I have been hunting high and low for vintage half helmets. Primarily on Ebay. Preferably the metal flake ones. Sure there is the plain jane all one color helmets. Then there is the american flag and rebel flag ones. And I have steadly watching the prices climb up on these things. Some of them go for big bucks. I have seen some of the larger size flaked captian america ones go for over $150. To me thats nuts. Generally these brain catchers need some repair of somesort. Sometimes you can find the deals but not me. I have yet to find one that looks like it worth the money. So I keep watching them with hope.

ANYWAY... I was watching this one because I thought the design was cool and have never seen one like it. Check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7990623035&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Now do you see what I mean? Thats just silly for a helmet. :confused:

BTW. If the auction link is bad ju-ju I will remove it. But figured it was ok because the auction is over.
anything that says "Buco" on it is going to go for big money. they are very collectible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
ol_scratch said:
Davida Jet. Check out their site. They have all kinds of styles (and if I'm right they may do custom paint to a certain extent). They are a little pricey. But I just bought a half dome off them, and they are worth it. And definitely not in the 500 buck range.

www.davida.co.uk
I have a davida jet, got it new but cheap on ebay a few years ago - it's a VERY nice helmet, but that silk/leather lining is kind of hot in the summer. I love it for long rides, especially at higher sustained speeds - very quiet and comfy. It IS a bit bulbous, though. They make a slimmer version of the Jet called the Speedster. If I was buying a Davida new, I'd go with that one.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top