Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But what the hell do I know. I bought this stuff on the cheap and slapped it together yesterday in the driveway to see how it all looked( as is evident by the forks just resting on the front wheel and nothing bolted down, top section of the trees missing etc..) It's a cb750 frame with 12 over forks. Seems to me the front end of the frame is sitting up to high. Ya know, not level. Is that the way hondas sit or did this guy not build it level? Does it need to be changed, and if so what can I do to adjust it? I was thinking of going out and up a little with the neck. I don't want to change the rake much if at all, and i don't want shorter forks, as I like the way it sits. any advice is greatly appreciated......

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yep...definitely needs something. If you decide to modify the neck, you need to know it is basically sheet metal wrapped around the tubing and is weak when changed from the stock form...it can be done, but it takes a real craftsman to do it right. Most of these frames are modified by stretching the down tubes....again it can be done at home if you have the welding skills. Do a search for "Kong" or "Konging" on Hondachopper.com for some tips. The 750 Honda Mutilation Society web site details this too! Looks good if done correctly. However, If it was mine, I would leave the frame alone and find shorter fork tubes. I believe you will be happier and will have a better looking more enjoyable bike in the process.
Hank

·
Registered
54 Posts
i agree there is something wrong when the motor is tilted up in front i think that's why people up and sterch frames i'd just put a shorter front end on it or totally mod the frame so the motor sits right

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you want to level that bike you'll have to chop the back end off it too. If the bottom frame tubes were level with the ground they would be on the ground. I would start over with another frame. if you leave it as it is you may have oil problems and the carbs will be tilted down and will likely puke gas and not idle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like the way it sits. A lot.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looking at the first pic it's apparent that with the top tree installed it's going to sit even higher.With out adding a huge rake,longer down tubes is about all you can do.Someone drove it with that stance?I agree with chopper mark.Pull the fork and prop the frame up to level plus about two inches to compensate for fork compression and see where your at.Cool score whatever you decide.The tweak bar mounts just abve the sliders when fork is fully compressed and yeah,12 over needs the tweaker.Keep us up to date.-Strat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Apehanger Hank said:
Yep...definitely needs something. If you decide to modify the neck, you need to know it is basically sheet metal wrapped around the tubing and is weak when changed from the stock form...it can be done, but it takes a real craftsman to do it right. Most of these frames are modified by stretching the down tubes....again it can be done at home if you have the welding skills. Do a search for "Kong" or "Konging" on Hondachopper.com for some tips. The 750 Honda Mutilation Society web site details this too! Looks good if done correctly. However, If it was mine, I would leave the frame alone and find shorter fork tubes. I believe you will be happier and will have a better looking more enjoyable bike in the process.
Hank
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that down tubes is the way to go. You mentioned something about the neck and the guy that had it before me took off the original neck and replaced it with another one of the same vintage. Why would he have done that? and what do I need to look for to make sure it was put back together correctly?

Grassyass

You know after re reading the stuff from the mutilation site. I realized, there instructions are for use with a swingarm and mine has been hardtailed. So it seems that I can't lenghten the down tubes without bending something else.

·
Registered
944 Posts
E2Grunt said:
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that down tubes is the way to go. You mentioned something about the neck and the guy that had it before me took off the original neck and replaced it with another one of the same vintage. Why would he have done that? and what do I need to look for to make sure it was put back together correctly?
I have no idea why someone would change the neck with another just like it unless they needed the numbers to match a title!!!!
Interesting to say the least, but you never know with these old bikes what people have done. Just be careful if you decide to build it and make sure the work was done correctly. In your profession, you have seen enough accidents to know the outcome!
You should still be able to extend the down tubes even with the hardtail, it was done on the Hondachopper site (garage section) a few years back. Caused some minor heartburn, but he was able to overcome the issues. I looked at the pictures again and I agree with the others, the hardtail may mess you up with ground clearence. How about putting it level on the ground and letting us see a picture?
Hank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts