Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an 82 FXR. I love it.

If it hasn't had the rubber mounts replaced, it needs it. All of them, including the swing arm pivots.

Take a look at the bolts holding the inner primary to the engine cases. Do they look like they've been tightened 2,000 times? This is one of the areas that the old rubber mounts will manifest themselves as problems. Keeping the motor bolted to the inner can be a problem.

Depending on how early or late in the '82 model year it is, it may have the narrower counter shaft 5th and main drive gears. They are narrower in early '82 and prone to failure. There is a service bulletin that replaces the narrower gears with the wider ones. Power shifting second gear blew my tranny apart. Mine is Andrews gears and shafts now.

The throw out arm is weak and prone to failure with heavier springs and an extra plate clutch. Mine broke in half. With some filing and welding, I made it stronger than ever and it has held up well.

The throw out shaft is a multi piece unit, and if I remember correctly, unique to 1982.

If you plan on hammering on it, install the carlini or like manufacturer torque plate. It connects the cam side of the motor to the tranny. It is also a good idea to upgrade to the billet tranny door as the stocker is weak and does not adequately support the tranny shafts under abuse.

Thats all I can think of for now. Like I said, I love mine. There isn't a comparably equipped 80" evo or shovel that can hang with mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought of something else. Take a look at the carb mounts. I don't see the bracket going from the bottom of the carb to the cases, and I can't tell if it has the one that bolts to the rockers and the air cleaner backing plate. The motor shakes quite a bit in these early rubber mounts. I broke 3 after-market lower carb mounts and fought constant vacuum leaks before finally making my own top and bottom brackets. If you look at the bottom of the rocker boxes, carb side, there are a pair of bosses where the stock top carb mount went. I fabbed one up using angle iron and threaded rod. It ended my vacuum leak problems and I haven't broken a bottom carb bracket since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.