Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to sell my 69 Trump that I built and got a line on an 82 Shovel FXR. Bike is stock with collector tabs. The motor has been gone through and the guy rides it a couple times a year. He said he fires it up once a month but it barely leaves his garage. Pros/cons of this bike? What should I look for? Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check compression, check for smoke/leaks, make sure tranny and clutch work somewhat normally. Be prepared to go thru it and do a major service. Pretty decent looking scoot, whats he asking?

·
Registered
54 Posts
An FXR has great suspension and is a fantastic bike for long trips, if you don't want to go the full dresser route. Arguably the best riding bike H-D ever made. Rubber mounts really lessen the vibration. I guess it all depends on how you want to purpose the machine. If you customize it to look like the FXR in "Harley-Davidson and the Marlboro Man," (i.e. bolt on struts and a rake) the enjoyment of long miles is gone.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an 82 FXR. I love it.

If it hasn't had the rubber mounts replaced, it needs it. All of them, including the swing arm pivots.

Take a look at the bolts holding the inner primary to the engine cases. Do they look like they've been tightened 2,000 times? This is one of the areas that the old rubber mounts will manifest themselves as problems. Keeping the motor bolted to the inner can be a problem.

Depending on how early or late in the '82 model year it is, it may have the narrower counter shaft 5th and main drive gears. They are narrower in early '82 and prone to failure. There is a service bulletin that replaces the narrower gears with the wider ones. Power shifting second gear blew my tranny apart. Mine is Andrews gears and shafts now.

The throw out arm is weak and prone to failure with heavier springs and an extra plate clutch. Mine broke in half. With some filing and welding, I made it stronger than ever and it has held up well.

The throw out shaft is a multi piece unit, and if I remember correctly, unique to 1982.

If you plan on hammering on it, install the carlini or like manufacturer torque plate. It connects the cam side of the motor to the tranny. It is also a good idea to upgrade to the billet tranny door as the stocker is weak and does not adequately support the tranny shafts under abuse.

Thats all I can think of for now. Like I said, I love mine. There isn't a comparably equipped 80" evo or shovel that can hang with mine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
check the bolts that secures the exhaust pipe to the head. Shovel FXR's were bad about that hole getting stripped out or bolts breaking off in the head. Fear no Evo is also right on about the engine mounts. Pay the extra money and get the HD front mount. The heim joints and the swing arm pivots are good aftermarket items and way cheaper than moco. Some 82's were "buy back edition" to celebrate no more AMF. It would have a badge on the front fender that is a bar and shield with wings and below a box with 1982 in it. I always liked that particular badge.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought of something else. Take a look at the carb mounts. I don't see the bracket going from the bottom of the carb to the cases, and I can't tell if it has the one that bolts to the rockers and the air cleaner backing plate. The motor shakes quite a bit in these early rubber mounts. I broke 3 after-market lower carb mounts and fought constant vacuum leaks before finally making my own top and bottom brackets. If you look at the bottom of the rocker boxes, carb side, there are a pair of bosses where the stock top carb mount went. I fabbed one up using angle iron and threaded rod. It ended my vacuum leak problems and I haven't broken a bottom carb bracket since.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great info gents, keep in mind I am going from the bike you see in my profile pic. That baby was a full time job to ride but I loved it. You could feel every bump in the road. If I DO end up buying this thing Im sure it will be quite a different riding experience. Current owner claims this motor is gone through... Keith Black pistons, S&S goodies etc etc. He has had it for a long time, so who knows. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Another perspective....

Im not a fan of the evo's and have no love for the shovel FXRs, just so hard to make them look good. If it was a FX or FL that would be different as if need be you could use it as a donor for a rigid project or a weld on, the FXR you cant do that, well easily anyways and Im not sure why but the evo FXRs just look better. Having said that the softie you posted would look great with a single seat, apes etc will be worth more in the long term even if it lacks "character" and will most likely need less long term repairs. Sort of bike you can jump on and ride whilst you build up a shovel chop ;) :)

Fuck did I really just suggest someone buy an evo instead of a shovel??? Better go get a drink...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you are looking for handling the FXR is a great bike...if you want to personalize it and strip or chop it I think it's a bad choice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Shock! Gasp! He's considering an EVO. Call the chopper police and give him some cool guy pills so he'll buy the Shovel!

Get over it.

Buy what you like dude. The badboy is cool and you could ride the piss out of it since It has a reliable engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts