Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Recently saw a thread on "another" forum in which a fellow's query regarding the grafting of an Evo Sportster front end onto a Triumph frame was misinterpreted by a respondent as a question regarding the "usual" transplanting of a Sportster motor into a Triumph frame - thus the title of this thread.<O:p></O:p>
Have primarily restored Pre War Brit stuff for the past thirty years, but the absolute dearth of parts combined with the interminably increasing lead time for UK based services has provided me with enough "down time" in this most "recent" restoration (4 years - couple of Pre War Speed Twins) to forge ahead with a project I have wanted to do for quite some time now. Was involved with Broughs many years ago, and restored a flat head (11-50) with the notion of eventually moving on to the OHV models. Well, that was long before these now fantastic asking prices. Realizing that I will never again be involved with Broughs per se, I have always thought that a properly mounted "divorced" Ironhead motor in a rigid Triumph frame bore a more than passing resemblance to those JAP contrivances. I realize that this has been done before (though somewhat less than a "million" times (apologies, Tony). However, I am not a fan of exposed primary drive trains, as is the fashion. I find primary covers functional, safe and quite aesthetic. In addition, I believe that the motor should be properly sandwiched between mounting plates per the usual British custom. Thus, I offer my take on another "abortion" (apologies, Farmall) for your perusal.<O:p></O:p>
http://s989.photobucket.com/user/btcoop77069btcoop/media/DSC_0567_zps8rr7omkq.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/btcoop77069btcoop/media/DSC_0585_zpsrtivyhzg.jpg.html?sort=2&o=1

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/btcoop77069btcoop/media/DSC_0590_zpsbfj3ffo1.jpg.html?sort=2&o=2

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/btcoop77069btcoop/media/DSC_0594_zpsottht5hq.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/btcoop77069btcoop/media/DSC_0606_zpsmxbvsolj.jpg.html?sort=2&o=4

·
Registered
728 Posts
btcoop!
That's fantastic!! Have you given any thought about what you could shoehorn into a typical pre OIF Triumph unit frame? This could open up a thirty-pack of possibilities!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mike - Thank you.

Well, sure. We all are always imagining how we would do things a tad different. However, this particular project was not so much about simply stuffing a different motor into a perfectly good frame as it was about transforming a rather "knackered" frame and suitable motor into a pseudo-legacy machine. As a restorer I am quite partial to originality, but as there was nothing inherently valuable about this particular frame (missing the transmission adjusting tab and having been already repaired in some spots) I felt no remorse in assigning it a new role. I tend to see things Farmall's way in general, and would rather put things as they were meant to be originally. But this is about as close as I'll ever get to a Brough again.

btcoop
Houston

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
A very good looking Abortion.
Nice work.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
On the backbone (near front of Seat ) theres a piece of tube 2 inch long is that part of modification or a repair?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete - Well, I'll have another go at it. Spent a bit of time trying to find and copy/paste the IMG code per Dragon's (RIP) instructions, but I could not really find it on my Photobucket account. Suspect it may be my account settings. Will try again as I post more. Many thanks for your consideration. Love your pics from the Japanese countryside, by the way.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Its part of mod yea (i just looked at pics again) thats why gearbox tilted up ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
richbob - No, that is not part of the previous frame repair (seems to have involved lower left frame rail casting attachment). That to which you refer is actually a slug extension of the main top frame rail steel casting which was sectioned and extended to allow clearance for the generator. A nine inch long section of A36 steel round stock (1 and ¾ inch diameter) was turned down on both ends. Each end was three inches in length. This left a three inch long center section (original 1 and ¾ inch diameter) for the actual extension of the steel casting back bone frame rail. This, of course, is the foundation of the build. The rear-most portion of the "slug" extends through the side car attachment port to the most distal end of the top tube (for rigidity purposes). The forward portion of the "slug" likewise extends three inches into the front section of the steel casting. Smoothing the rough internal surface of the frame casting to allow a snug machined fit for the lathe-turned ends of the slug proved the most difficult part of the job.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.